Oil & filter recommendation for 07 KIA Sportage

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine just bought an 07 KIA Sportage with the 2.0L I4 engine. The manual doesn't really specify a viscosity, it shows the graph of the temperature range each viscosity is appropriate for - both 5w-20 and 5w-30 fit. He has not only asked me to teach him to change his oil, but to choose the oil and filter combo to use. His preference is synthetic because he (read me) would like to go 5,000 to 7,500 miles between changes. Off the top of my head, I was thinking Mobil 1 5w-20 (Mobil's website chose the weight) with a Pureone filter. I know nothing about this motor, so your input is very much appreciated!

I'll admit it I have a Kia, actually I've had 4. They seem to run on anything but according to kiatechinfo they all come with 5w20 since 04. Kiatechinfo is the online repair manual, recall center, updates, campaigns etc for kia's, register sign in and look at all the goodie's.

"Beginning with 7/1/04 production date, 5W20/GF-3 engine oil has been used in production of all Kia vehicles. 5W20/GF-3 oil is the recommended replacement oil regardless of region or climate. In the event that 5W20 engine oil is not available, 5W30 may be substituted.

Beginning with 8/9/04 production date, 75W85 API GL-3 manual transmission lubricant has been used in all manual transmissions in Kia vehicles"

My Rio says 5w20 right on the oil cap but the owners manual does leave room for other weights. Don't worry if you/he wants to run 30 weights as several guys at kia-forums are struggling with the idea of running a 30 weight much less 20 as called from by kia. I have posted UOA's on 3 of my kia's, which you can muse over for re-assurance. The sedona seems to slaughter its oil quick but the newer I4's are doing well. I've done 5k on dino havoline, its in the UOA section.

The factory filters are quite good (I get mine for free) but a PP or P1 is good as well. There have been some filter issues in the past so the factory does prefer their filters. Any quality oil & filter will do though.

From the Amsoil site:
2007 KIA SPORTAGE 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code 2

FILTERS
Oil Filter........ EAO20 AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter
Oil Filter........ SDF20 Super Duty Full-Flow
Oil Filter........ 51334 WIX 51334 Oil Filter Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-20 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
Above 9°F......15W-40
Above 0°F......10W-30
Above 19°F......20W-50
All Temps......5W-20
My pick for a 5,000 to 7,500 severe mile oil change up to 6 months would be the WIX filter and the 5W-20 XL oil. Meets the new car warranty requirements.

Same oil filter as my car
smile.gif

Quote:

From the Amsoil site:
Grade 1......API*
Above 9°F......15W-40
Above 0°F......10W-30
Above 19°F......20W-50
All Temps......5W-20

I'm confused, if it says you can use the heavier weights if a temp is above a certain degree, then why would it say to use 5w-20 for ALL temps.

Why doesn't it just say, on the website or in the manual, to just use 5w-20 period for all temps - why give options if they're not *really* necessary.

For instance, I have a vehicle that the owners manual specs everything from 5w-30 to 20w-50, BUT, it says to ONLY use 5w-30 if cold weather starts are an issue (or for fuel mileage purposes, but then also states that 5w-30 will not provide proper protection in high heat conditions, i.e. towing, extensive highway driving, etc.

I guess my point is, is if the Kia is fine on 5w-20 alone, the manual nor the Amsoil website should ever list other viscosities as *options*. Seems like waisted time/space to do so.

On a side note, I had a '97 Kia Sportage 4-cylinder - do not remember the exact engine code, etc or if it's the same as the newer engines - but, I ran 10w-30 Havoline in it, and it did just fine.

We have two Korean vehicles and use 5W20 Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic oil in both of them. Neighbor has one and uses 5W20 oil too in his.

Would have stayed with the Motorcraft 5W20 but Big Lots had 5W20 Havoline Full Synthetic on sale and bought enough for several oil changes.

Recommend you use the factory OEM oil filter as it is well made and recommended by many folks.

The 5W20 oils will serve him fine in his vehicle!

Quote:

Quote:

From the Amsoil site:
Grade 1......API*
Above 9°F......15W-40
Above 0°F......10W-30
Above 19°F......20W-50
All Temps......5W-20

I'm confused, if it says you can use the heavier weights if a temp is above a certain degree, then why would it say to use 5w-20 for ALL temps.

Why doesn't it just say, on the website or in the manual, to just use 5w-20 period for all temps - why give options if they're not *really* necessary.

For instance, I have a vehicle that the owners manual specs everything from 5w-30 to 20w-50, BUT, it says to ONLY use 5w-30 if cold weather starts are an issue (or for fuel mileage purposes, but then also states that 5w-30 will not provide proper protection in high heat conditions, i.e. towing, extensive highway driving, etc.

I guess my point is, is if the Kia is fine on 5w-20 alone, the manual nor the Amsoil website should ever list other viscosities as *options*. Seems like waisted time/space to do so.

On a side note, I had a '97 Kia Sportage 4-cylinder - do not remember the exact engine code, etc or if it's the same as the newer engines - but, I ran 10w-30 Havoline in it, and it did just fine.

The owners manual makes just as much sense, actually I think it mirrors the above. It doesn't make sense and for the same engine I can show you 3 different oil viscosity charts all from Kia. All climate can be used anywhere and just use the next weight up if your not comfy with that.

I love the 20W50 above 19F, wouldn't that be all climate really.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back