Honda 250 Interceptor: what type of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am buying a 250 Interceptor for commuting, and it has 12k miles on it. Not a clue about the oil type for this little engine.

Any recommendation for weight and dino vs. synth?
confused.gif

GL

I use Amsoil's MCV 20w50 in all my air cooled ATV's from my 350cc to my kids little 90cc, great oil for hot running engines..

I'd be tempted to run a 20w50 during the summer for some extra protection, and to help prevent shearing. I'd avoid both AMS and the mobil, unless you want to spend ten bucks a quart! Most parts places carry castrol or valvoline motorcycle oil if you just got to have the JASO MA. And its around three bucks a quart. Or you can be like the rest of us and figure that an automobile oil, that doesn't have an energy conserving star is safe.

If you run Amsoil 10W40, it will provide all the protection you need. If you run a 20W50, you may sacrifice some horsepower. Amsoil 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil is available at $8 a quart in motorcycle shops in the Houston area, and is available at $6.35 a quart (case price) with the Preferred Customer wholesale pricing. It is cost effective as it has a free parts and labor warranty for double the OEM recommended mileage in the owners manual up to 1 year. Shipping will be under $9 a case and not charged if you pick up at the warehouse.

Amsoil has also introduced a 10W40 synthetic JASO MA scooter oil that meets motorcycle requirements with a free parts and labor warranty when you follow the drain intervals in your owners manual. PC wholesale is $4.63 a quart when you buy by the case of 12 quarts.

Some car oils, especially with API SM, will not pass JASO MA, may only pass JASO MB, and may not even pass that. Read and follow the recommendations in the owners manual for JASO and viscosity.

UPDATE:

So I ended up buying a 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500cc(EX500) instead of a 250.

The manual indicates that I can use anything between 10w40 and 20w50 four stroke motorcycle oil.

As an experiment, I drained the old oil, used a Fram filter, and added two quarts of Valvoline 20w50 with one quart of Exxon Superflow 5w30....and about 2 ounces of SLOB for good measure.

What do you guys think? Was it a good mix?
confused.gif

GL

Greg, stick with what the manual says. If the manual was printed in 1995, this was before the JASO MA standard was around and not needed with the 1995 oils. If you call Kawasaki, they will recommend JASO MA as the oils today are much different. I'd go with one of todays superior 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oils with no additional supplements. No need to do your own formulation and testing. It has already been done for you.

I think you'll like the 500 better than the 250. Good choice!

I had an '89 miniceptor. I'd use 10W-40, probably Amsoil. I tried others but liked Amsoil the best. Personally I'd run Citgo 10W-40 or Mystik, and change it a bit more frequently. The VTR engine is practically indescructible.

As a side note:

I went over to the Kawasaki forum to see what they had to say about oil usage.

Some folks over there have noted that sometimes it is necessary to "burp" the oil in order to remove any air pockets inside. They do this by changing the oil, running the motor, and then loosening the filter a little to let any air out...and then re-tighten.

Is this true, or a case for the MythBusters?

GL

Quote:

UPDATE:

So I ended up buying a 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500cc(EX500) instead of a 250.

The manual indicates that I can use anything between 10w40 and 20w50 four stroke motorcycle oil.

As an experiment, I drained the old oil, used a Fram filter, and added two quarts of Valvoline 20w50 with one quart of Exxon Superflow 5w30....and about 2 ounces of SLOB for good measure.

What do you guys think? Was it a good mix?
confused.gif

GL

You did good till this

Exxon Superflow 5w30

it has friction modifiers and unless I'm wrong you have a et clutch in that motor

friction modifiers should not be used in wet clutches don't mix.

fyi

Amsoil has another 10W-40 synthetic that is JASO MA spec. Its the AMO. Its a lower cost alternative to the MC oil. MSRP $7.30 qt (pc $5.70).

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Premium Protection Motor Oil (AMO) is a multi-use, premium synthetic lubricant for applications that require or benefit from a higher viscosity oil. It is recommended for air and liquid cooled, large or small gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions and chaincase applications where 10W-40 oil is required with any of the following specifications:

* API SL/CF, CI-4 Plus
* API SJ, SH, SG...
* MIL-PRF-2104G
* JASO MA (Motorcycle)

Some bikes do not need to use the higher end MC oils MCF and MCV. Check it out, thats what I would use in an older used bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back