Fuel Additive Showdown (FP60 vs LUCL vs MMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some searching and scrounging but the search engine doesn't seem to work well / give good results
frown.gif

FP60 vs Lucas UCL vs Marvel Mystery Oil vs FP3000 vs Whatever

What's your favorite fuel treatment, and why? Ever switch products?

I'll start:
I've only had experience with Lucas UCL + ARCO gas. I use 2 to 2.5 oz per fill-up on my '95 Toyota Celica with 1.8L 242k miles on it. I see 2-4 MPG gains every time I use it, and engine seems to run ever-so-slightly more smoothly.

I'm considering trying MMO and seeing what other results I get. I'm just reluctant to use it since they won't talk about what MMO really does... I'm afraid of what it will do long term?

I tried LUCL last year in my 1998 BMW (M52 engine, Dinan mods, runs good as new except for a lifter tick while warming up). I found that engine operation might have been smoother but that performance from 0-30% throttle was negatively impacted with a loss in responsiveness and more throttle angle required for similar acceleration/cruise. 50-100% throttle angle performance was unchanged. I can't see my results being good for fuel economy. The side effects weren't worth the possible lubrication and cleaning.

I purchased a gallon of FP60 that I'm only about 60% through in the last year. I noticed no negative side effects. Positive side effects were mild. No real noticeable jump in fuel economy but our fuel composition in my area seems to be all over the map (very noticeable changes in MPG from tank to tank, brand to brand). I'm in favour of FP60 if it provides excellent ongoing cleanliness even without MPG increase. I haven't pulled the plugs to peer into the chambers yet.

Most times I would say that I use V-power 91. I've been using more Esso 91 lately due to noticeably higher fuel economy recently.

I have a gallon of FP3000 to try when my FP60 runs out.

Never tried MMO, and I'm not likely to.

I used to use Techron from time to time but it hasn't been available in my area for years. I now use one bottle of Redline SI-1 most OCIs. I never notice any improvements, with or without the use of FP60. I consider it maintenance of the state of cleanliness - why wait until you have a problem as long as you aren't overusing a cleaner?

I used UCL before and thought I was getting economy gains, but slowly they dropped off and my economy went back to normal both in town and on the highway. I quit using UCL after that and began using Techron 20oz bottles 2x a year to keep everything clean.

To be honest I'm scared of MMO, and UCL smelled like corn oil?? If MMO smells nice and has a leak free bottle I might try it, but I don't think I'll see a gain out of it in economy or engine smoothness. So for convenience I will just fill up with normal gasoline like 98% of other americans except for 2x/yr.

I would be more than happy to try FP60/FP3000 if I could get a free/cheap 12oz sample before buying a gallon... The 32oz bottle still isn't cheap considering it's cost per mile.

MMO is good and useful, but not in the same class as FP60 or Lucas UCL. It is old fashioned solvent mineral oil, vs. new technology. This is also reflected in the price!
MMO has some decent light cleaning ability, and makes a pretty good top end and fuel system lube.
UCL is a great top end/fuel system lube, and has good cleaners and somehow helps fuel to burn more efficiently. Many experience better pep/economy with it. Some don't.
FP60 is very good all around, as well.

FP3000/FP60 are my favorites. Great cleanliness, additional engine smoothness, and maybe some MPG gain. I use FP3000 in my RX8 where additional upper cylinder lubrication is very important in the rotary and FP60 in my other vehicles.

Lucas UCL would be my second choice if FP was not available.

BG44k for on-time cleanups - expensive and strong. Regular use of FP eliminates this need though - but would still use occasionally with Lucas as I do not think it cleans near as well as FP.

I've only used FP60 in my car (and i have a gallon of FP3000 in my stash) and I noticed about a 1-2mpg increase on the same route I traveled every day. I just put a new fuel filter in my car and I'm sure it will help keep things nice and clean
smile.gif
I mainly wanted it for the reduced emissions, however.

I haven't tried anything but Lucas UCL, and appreciate the smoother engine operation and keeping things clean. I haven't noticed any mileage gains (maybe 1/2 mpg), but it's cheap enough and easily obtainable in gallon jugs at my local Napa.

I have been using the Lucas UCL and I have seen in increase in mpg and a bit more "grunt" out of my vehicles. I see that additive as more of a lubricant and mild detergent than anything else. I beleive that it is safe to add at every fill up as is has no solvents. I think it can be best looked at as insurance, as detergents are in such low concentrations in fuel, that is if you buy that top tier junk, as it bolsters the detergency and combustion of fuel.

For continuous use, I use FP60. With it I've seen a (possible) small MPG improvement - but getting continuous fuel stabilization, lubrication, and cleaning is my main goal. The fact that Terry D. speaks so highly of it is enough to convince me.

For an annual fuel system cleaning I am sold on Redline SI-1. I had used Techron since the late 80's, but never saw any obvious improvement with it (used it as PM). After using a bottle of SI-1 in two different cars, and experiencing significant improvements in idle smoothness and throttle responsiveness, I am a convert. (getting a handful of bottles for half price at AA was a nice bonus)

I'm getting some unbelieveable increases in MPG lately, and have just switched from FP60 to 3000. However, I'm guessing it is the switch to summer fuel, and not the 3000...they just happened at the same time. I'm talking about a 10% increase in MPG, even with the A/C on...so, I'm sure it's at least partly due to the fuel changeover, partly due to the warmer weather. Hmmm, come to think of it, my "usual" routes have a couple of stretches of road repair...so, I'm driving slower for 3-10 mile stretches of road...THAT would make a difference on it's own.

I've used MMO quite a bit over the last year and haven't noticed anything. BUT, that doesn't mean it's not working or doing something.

Here's a MMO question: On a gas 1/2 Ton HD pick-up pulling a 3,000 Lb Boat, does it help the engine more by putting it in the (100%) gas during the hard stress of pulling the Boat about 500 miles in a weekend...???

PS: I use Amsoil, Amsoil EAO Oil Filter and EAA Air filter if that helps......

All knowledgable replies on using MMO in this application are greatly appreciated!!
cheers.gif

Since MMO appears to be a light oil... do most of you use it just to lubricate the fuel system due to today's *dry* gas?

If we are going to talk about MMO, then we need to be accurate about what is in it and quit all the speculating. Here are the main ingredients from the MSDS:

2. POSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

COMPONENT CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION (wt %)

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 64742-52-5 70 – 80

Mineral Spirits 08052-41-3 20 – 30

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 00095-50-1 0 – 1

It also contains enough sulfur to make it not ULSD compliant and not recommended for 2007+ diesels (from their Forum)

It also likely contains ZDDP, since the MMO Stop Leak product is also acknowledged to have it in it.

While I am not really a fan of MMO - many here misinterpret what MMO is - it is really Mineral Spirits and Naptha (not a light oil) with some lubricity achieved through components such as Sulfur, ZDDP, and chlorinated hydrocarbons.

The concern for many with MMO is the chlorinated hydrocarbons, which may be very lubricious, but creates hydrochloric acid as a by-product when burned. This may or may not be an issue as it is a very small percentage of the total package (0-1%)

Quote:

On a gas 1/2 Ton HD pick-up pulling a 3,000 Lb Boat, does it help the engine more by putting it in the (100%) gas during the hard stress of pulling the Boat about 500 miles in a weekend...???

This is speculative, but here's my thoughts...
dunno.gif

MMO isn't a performance enhancer. It's a cleaner / lubricator. As long as you use it (or another product) from time to time to keep your injectors clean, it shouldn't matter if you use it on the tank full where you're pulling weight... or the tanks fills before the weight pulling.

I think you're getting more of a benefit from the good filters you're using than anything. Clean oil makes a working engine happy
grin.gif

I love the LUCL so much that I buy it buy the big bottles. That, and it's way cheaper that way, too. I can definitely tell my engine runs better with the LUCL. But, I can tell no difference in gas mileable... but maybe that's because I want to feel the extra pep too much. It gives me more down low engine power.

Supposedly the chlorinated solvents in MMO were removed when Canada banned the product for environmental concerns. More current msds's don't show it FWIW. I have VOA elements posted on it posted on another thread here somewhere. Phosphorus and boron seem to be the main EP adds, looks to be about 20% solvent in a 3w oil but msds's don't show everything for example the wintergreen and any detergent that's in it. The lab that ran the test didn't know it was mmo and guessed it to be a mil-spec fluid used in high altitude aircraft hydraulic systems, impervious to cold temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back