ATF for Saturn VUE CVT transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY friend just picked up a 2002 VUE with the CVT, and we've been reading all about failures with them. When he test drove it, it worked great but we would like to change the fluid to be safe. What type of ATF does this thing require and does anyone have any experiences with it?

Thanks

Drain and re-fill transaxle fluid two times using DEX-CVT® fluid, P/N 15250985 - gallon, P/N 15234609 - quart. After the second consecutive drain and fill, add one unit (10 mL [0.33 fluid oz] syringe) of DEX-CVT® additive, P/N 15231847.

Too funny, look above. Its another superior OEM fluid that needs a tag along additive to work well.

Also found another PN for CVT fluid--22688912.

Last edited:
It's beyond me why someone would purchase a car if it is known to have transmission problems ??? Especially if there's no extended warranty out on the unit, and the transmission is NOT rebuildable ??? Couple that with various other expensive PCM and suspension problems that the VUE has and you have an absolute piece of manure.

Alright, enough, rant off. Use Dex-CVT with the additive.

And I've put your friend in my prayers in hopes that his transmission will last.

LOL - he really liked the novelty of CVT though, he kept saying "it's so smooth!" I think thats what sold him. We expect to see it get about 30mpg highway. I personally dont like CVT's just simply due to the wishy washy belt nature. It's got 70K KMs (about 44K miles) on it, I hope the prev. owner already had the unit replaced once or thrice... Is DEX-CVT a dealer only item, are there any substitutes ?>

Nissan and Honda also use the van-doorne steel belt. I would wager that the OEM fluids are similar if not the same. There just isn't a market for CVT fluid at your local autoparts stores. So, you're stuck with buying the fluid at the dealer. And, the method for removing, installing, and topping off the fluid needs to be researched.

http://media.gm.com/division/powertrain/technology/VTi_additional.pdf

http://www.prilubes.com/product-info-sheets/pdfs/Continuously_Variable_Transmission_Fluid.pdf

http://www.eneos.us/web/cvt_fluid.aspx

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...mission%20Fluid

thanks for the links. wow what a pain, regular GM dealers dont carry the fluid, and transmission shops turn a blind eye! The guy at the Saturn dealer says they connect it to an exchange machine that also detects temperatre and fluid expansion for the correct level. Other people on saturn forums say theyve just done simple drain/fills. Etierh way it doesnt seem to depend too much on the fluid condition, as they tend to fail after regular servicing anyway. What a terrible design! If you go CVT, go for the JATCO Toroidal CVT, stay far away from van doorne belts!
crushedcar.gif

Well if you do wager, don't wager much because you will loose!
Even the ones that use the Van Doorne belt are in many ways significantly different from one another. For instance, different start-up clutch arrangements, different clutch materials, different oil pumps, different basic architectures and then we come to the belt. As you say, they all use a Van Doorne belt. But did you know that there are Van Doorne belts, and Van Doorne belts. Let me explain:- there are different belt widths and different belt lengths. The width difference means that the elements are a different size which affects torque capacity. The length difference means different numbers of elements in the belt. Additionally, there are various element designs and the belt construction varies in that some have more bands in the construction than others which also affects torque capacity. So, you see that the belt all by itself presents a number of different challenges which is why the vast majority, if not all, of the 'special' fluids that OEMs have developed for their particular CVT application is really needed to make the device work properly.

good point! i hope gm got that fluid right by now

they mention an additive as "long chain polymers" are these vi improvers? i'd think with several steel belts that are constantly engaged, the amount of shear that occurs would be enormous! the finest esters would probably end up serving no longer than conventional atf in severe service

Has there been a lot of failures on the Vue CVT? They've been on the road for ~5yrs now and you sure see a lot of them. A co-worker of mine had a 2002 AWD/CVT (lease). He turned it in for a 2006 V6 FWD not too long ago. He never had any problems with the CVT, but the MPG's were no better than the honda V6.
Joel

The units aren't rebuildable. Failures seem to be higher than average, and GM issued a five-yr/75k extended warranty on the units. Replacement cost is about $5k parts/labor AFAIK, which is about average for a dealership remanufactured unit to be installed.

IMO anything that is relying completely on friction at all time will wear out much faster than gear typed transmission. Internal friction between the tooth of the belt wasted a lot of energy also. A better build engine with wide power/efficiency band is more important.

If you must go CVT, Toyota's planetary gear type with 2 electric motor is the only bullet proof type, but that only works for hybrid and has higher part counts on electronics, motors, and less efficiency in the mechanical to electric to mechanical conversion.

I don't know about that.

Probably VM.

They vary according to individual design but yes generally speaking they are very effective shearing devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back