New Lawn Tractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Once again I am looking at new lawn tractors because my 18 year old Murray could go any day. I'll probably buy a SEARS because of price and availability. Is a 6 speed transmission more reliable than the hydromatics?

I would take a 6spd gear transaxle over a fender lever light duty hydrostatic drive. In reality though, either will work out fine for grass cutting on easy, flat terrain.

Joel

Thanks Joel, that's how I think too. Is it OK to start out in 5th or 6th with the 6 speeds or should you start lower and shift on the fly? I am interested in making the tractor last as long as possible.

If you need to go to reverse alot- like trimming around things- I suggest the hydrostatic cause its time saving to just move your foot to reverse vs. stop shift and stop shift again to get back at it.

I bought a new Sears tractor(2005) 6 speed 18.5 hp and love it turns sharp runs great good on gas good power,yes you can start out in any gear.

The reason i bought a Sears tractor is my brother has one
he bought in 1982 and is still running like a champ to this
day,only had to replace the drive and deck belt that's all.

so i figure this one will last a long long time for me too.

I like the hydro's, can easily change speeds or go in reverse without putti'n the beer down and holding on to the steering wheel...
blush.gif
er... sum'tin like that. For me its better that shifting, I have had both. really prefer the hydro, with the foot pedal. My preferance would be the Cubs with the shaft drive. Just my 2 cents. FWIW.

The six speed probably is more reliable than a low end hydrostatic.
However if you were to step up to a model that has a serviceable hydrostatic as in external filter and a drain plug then it would be more even I reckon.
Nevertheless I just purchased a lower end Cub Cadet with a hydrostatic. I am very impressed with the extra convienance of being able to control direction and speed with one foot.
This in conjunction with a sharper turning radius and a wider cut has reduced my mowing time considerably.

Rickey

"This in conjunction with a sharper turning radius and a wider cut has reduced my mowing time considerably."

Here I am comparing to my previous riding mower.

Rickey.

I agree, once you go hydrostatic, it's tough to go back to a gear drive grass cutter. Thing is- in the $1000 price segment, you are better off with a gear drive transaxle, sears/poulan machine (electrolux product). Stay away from an MTD with the variator drive trans. Sears doesn't make a a machine with a serviceable hydro drive anymore.

Joel

Yes I have one of those MTD variator units. Some are called "CVT" transmissions.
It still drives just fine. However the transmission is now making lots of mechanical noises (pullys visibly loose on their bearings etc.)
The variator mechanism appears to have worn considerably.

This is after four years of mowing about one acre usually once per week.
I suppose I could have used it for another season.
It was comparatively speaking an inexpensive riding mower, and I believe that I got my moneys worth out of it.
Of course it will now make a fine spare and last a long time in that type service.
My new Cub with a hydrostatic is light years ahead of the MTD even though it is a "lower end" model.
I just remembered lower end Cub is put together by MTD.

shocked.gif

Rickey.

I had one of thos MTD variator unit mowers and i hated
it as it got older i could never pull my roller or de-
thatcher the transmissions always wanted to slip then
finally one day the rear end just went out as i was cutting
grass sold the piece of junk for $100 and said i'll never
own one again so i looked for a gear drive that i know
won't go out, my new tractor works great with the 6 speed
gear drive trans,she'll pull anything and not miss a beat
cheers.gif

Thanks for all the useful information guys. The PEERLESS trans in my Murray is a great unit that really takes abuse well. After 18 years its still working great. Sears has an 80th Anniversary edition with a 22 hp B&S and hydrostatic trans on sale for 1500. (I think the sale may have ended yesterday). This seems like a pretty good deal compared to Toros at HD. What do you think?

Sorry to thread jack: but my father is also looking @ a new Sear tractor & he doesn't have the space in the garage for it & the basement is out of the question.

So my question: is storage under a cover (tarp) sufficient protection from the elements? Or are we severely undermining the life cycle of the tractor this way?

Yes Briggs and Stratton's engines are dependable. I've had a bunch of them. For my experience they almost always outlived whatever they were attached to.
I now have my first Kohler... so the "worship" may be premature on my part.
However everyone that I know who has a Kohler gives their engines a high mark.
I guess the ones that particularly impress me are the folks with 20 or 30 year old Wheel Horse mowers with original unopened Kohlers that still run fine.
My first hands on impression of Kohler is that the 20 Hp Courage is much smoother than the 15 Hp Briggs that I was mowing with.
Less vibration, less mechanical noises from within the engine, quiter exhaust, etc. Both are one cylinder engines which are hard to balance.
The Kohler has an innovative balance system unlike any other.

IMHO
Briggs= World class reliability.
Kohler= World class reliability with a note of refinement.

Rickey.

Again i agree
laugh.gif

i would love to have a Kohler someday,but i just bought
a new sears in '05 so it may be awile.
laugh.gif

But i will tell ya my next one will be Kohler powerd.
patriot.gif

Sorry to thread jack: but my father is also looking @ a new "Sear tractor & he doesn't have the space in the garage for it & the basement is out of the question.

So my question: is storage under a cover (tarp) sufficient protection from the elements? Or are we severely undermining the life cycle of the tractor this way?"

Humidity will be a factor,the electrical system and belts may suffer from this. Maybe some long term rust issues also.
twocents.gif

Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back