What to do with used antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what is the proper way to dispose of used antifreeze. I have no clue how to get rid of it. The places around here that take used oil won't take antifreeze. I don't want to just dump it down the drain, but I have to dispose of it some how.
confused.gif

Call Wal-mart or any other quick lube type place that provide coolant flushes. Most of them use recycled coolant. They recycle the coolant using kit.

why is dumping it down the drain bad? Your local sewege treatment plant treats much worse higher volume industrial/commercial waste. However, I would not do it if you are using a septic tank.

Quote:

. However, I would not do it if you are using a septic tank.

why not? think it's any worse for the bacteria in the tank, compared to household cleaners? bleach? ammonia?

I was hoping you'd have a good reason for me so I don't start dumping it in the sink....and get choked by the little woman LOL

This bring up a point. What are the different regulationss around the US regarding Antifreeze disposal?

Here in Lexington, KY it is ok to flush antifreeze down the sanitary sewer drain which is treated. However, is not ok to use the storm drain which is untreated and goes into the streams. Makes "practical" sense to me. However, I suspect some communities are much stricter.

I spent some time on the internet researching whether it is appropriate to dump automotive coolant in the sanitary drain. About 90% of the sources discouraged it. This is probably just a community line to the public to cover their behinds.

I believe the science is sound and the old coolant degrades either before or during treatment at the plant. Perhaps the communities object because of the heavy metals that may accompany coolant disposal.

Just wondering, would be OK to just pour it in your backyard soil provided that you don't plant anything edible there? I mean...once the soil absorbs it...who could it possibly harm?

pouring antifreeze into the soil is one of the worst things to do. It flows through the soil into the groundwater. depending on the geology of the area, it can flow into aquifers or surface streams. In effect almost like dumping it into a stream. IMO, even small amounts could be a problem.

Here in Lexingotn KY we have Karst topography (fractured limestone rock with sinkholes). Something dumped on the ground can be resurface miles away in a stream.

The consultant from the ecology company that helped the dealerships I used to work in had a different perspective. His role was to keep us in compliance with ecological concerns, such as keeping proper records about our waste oil and waste coolant so we would be in compliance with local and other laws.

Off the record, he said that coolant was very benign to the environment. It broke down in soil very quickly. There are microbes in most soils that actually like the stuff. The true danger is if it stays on the surface.

I have never tried to verify this, but he was well educated in the field (PhD).

Anyway, I don't dump the stuff in the ground and don't recommend it.

Excellent point. Perhaps antifreeze is one of those chemicals that does break down quickly. I do not know. However, I still stand on pat on the potential damage to ground water from those chemical which do not break down. again, good point

fyi

Quote:

Anti-Freeze
Did you know... that anti-freeze works by changing the temperature at which the water in your car radiator boils and freezes? Car owners should be careful that anti-freeze does not leak from their car. Anti-freeze is a neon-greenish color, and it smells and tastes like sugar water. Animals are drawn to it, and they will die if they eat even just a small amount because it is very poisonous.

Quote:

Growing public awareness and concern for controlling water pollution led to enactment of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act Amendments of 1972. As amended in 1977, this law became commonly known as the Clean Water Act. The Act established the basic structure for regulating discharges of pollutants into the waters of the United States. It gave EPA the authority to implement pollution control programs such as setting wastewater standards for industry. The Clean Water Act also continued requirements to set water quality standards for all contaminants in surface waters. The Act made it unlawful for any person to discharge any pollutant from a point source into navigable waters, unless a permit was obtained under its provisions. It also funded the construction of sewage treatment plants under the construction grants program and recognized the need for planning to address the critical problems posed by non-point source pollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back