What's used more in V8 racing. Redline or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's used more in V8 racing. Redline or Amsoil

Just wondering what typically seems to be the more used oil among V8 engines in racing. Both Roller and Flat Tappet?

Any stories to add about either item used in these exapmles?

I encourage you to visit Redline's website. Redline is more popular in racing. This doesn't mean Amsoil isn't used in racing. It is...

Redline still loads their oils with ZDDP, which many still feel is called for in older style flat tappet cams. I would chose Redline in your case or Amsoil 20w-50, Marine Oil 10w-30 or 10w-40. Those oils are IMO are more suitable for your situation from what it sounds like.

I am going to be using the Amsoil 15w-40 in my 302. Sorry, no stories to tell and I hope I never will have one of any interest, to be honest. I think the best story any amateur can tell about the oil he uses in his race engine is "put it in, forget it, drain it, no problems."

Francis,

If you look at local, grassroots racing you'll find a lot more folks using Amsoil. This is simply due to the fact that overall Amsoil sells more oil than most of these smaller independent companies combined.

Redline has high visibility in professional racing, but they don't have anywhere near the market penetration that Amsoil has in North America. For example in the town I live in (pop 150,000) there are 8-10 places selling Amsoil and none that I know of that even carry Redline, except for the SL-1 fuel additive at Advance Auto.

All the circle tracks/drag strips around here I would say it breaks down to something along these lines...
1. Amsoil
2. Mobil1
3. RedLine
After that is is a little of everything....but Amsoil is the leader by a wide margin around here.

Sarge,

That's interesting...I would have assumed the most widely used oil was the Mobil 1, 15w-50, simply because you can get the stuff anywhere. I also see a lot of folks still using Valvoline VR-1, Racing oil in the 20w-50 and straight 50wt grades.

Redline is the king in pro drag racing from what I've read. They also dominate the SCCA clubs. I'm sure Amsoil is popular among the smaller racing folks.

http://www.redlineoil.com/motorsport_racetypes.asp?categoryid=8

Quote:

With more championships in the SCCA Runoffs® than any other oil company, Red Line now offers the widest variety of gear oil and motor oils, allowing for teams to select oils based on operating temperature, friction modifiers, and extreme pressure additives. Today, many of Europe’s top formula car operations and rally teams buy our lightweight gear oils, WaterWetter, and CV2 grease to compete on a world stage without question of failure.

I bet that new 0w-20 Amsoil will be a good qualifying oil.
wink.gif

When I was working with Delta Cams most customers were using (thick) mineral race oils like valvoline or castrol. Synthetics was a minority by far and mobile was probably the most mentioned.

I spoke with Amsoil tech today about using their oils in racing. Dan said with racing oils, you're looking for very good shear stability. Pablo, I assume your leaning towards S2k 20w-50? I heard nothing but good things about it.

Boy I need to wear my glasses - I meant "unlimited hydroplane". These are jet engines (dunno what oil) driving a shaft to a gear box. Typically the gear boxes use synthetic gear oil. Maybe I'll try 75W-110 or 90....competitors use Redline or Royal Purple and dump after each race.

As for piston engines, that's why PAO and POE's are good in racing oils.

While some racers are influenced by oil company contingency postings, (i.e.: Racer purchases, uses and displays proper decals on car. If he/she wins or gets a runner up, they get paid the posted amount for their class.) I've been using Amsoil 0w-30 for many years now. I believe that my engine builder set the clearances a little bit tighter for use with the lighter oil. But it has worked great and he stated that the parts come out with less wear than many other brands. The lighter the oil you can use, the more HP you can free up!

When I was a teenager Kendall GT-1 was big among grassroots racers. And now that Brad Penn has more or less reintroduced the original GT-1 as "Penn-Grade 1" racing oil, more and more grassroots and hometown racers are moving back to it.

Here is what the folks at Russell Racing have to say about Brad Penn's Penn-Grade 1 racing oil:

Quote:

Brad Penn racing oil returns for its second year with Russell Racing. The number one technical question asked at the recent car show was "who is Brad Penn." The parent company, American Refinery purchased the Kendall refinery in 1997. Kendall had developed it's GT-1 racing oils years ago with the likes of Big Daddy Don Garlits. The Kendall name is now used by others but the fine product remains with Brad Penn. They have further improved the oil to include actual Penn Grade crude, synthetic oil, and detergent additives. No other oil company can match this formula. Donnie Moran (UMP $1 million dollar winner), The Gravedigger Monster Trucks, Tom Hemphill Racing (IHRA), and many others are making the switch. Russell Racing ran this oil in two 8000 rpm dry sump motors in 2004 and dynoed with it in 2005. Even our dyno technician commented on its amazing clinging attributes. Thank you Brad Penn for your support this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back