Esso XD3 0W40 UOA Oct 29- 15 Feb 07

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this oil through the harshest months of our winter here in Edmonton. I am worried about the high iron-is it deposits from using synthetic? This is my first change of synthetic- I used Delo before, iron was at 18 ppm for that change. AFE Stage 2 intake (standard media)
7400 miles on oil (mostly city some highway)
30000 miles on engine( first change using synthetic)
Engine- 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 47
Copper 3
Lead 1
Tin 0
Molybdenum 31
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 1
Titanium 0
Potassium 5
Boron 17
Silicon 7
Sodium 2
Calcium 4117
Magnesium 11
Phosphorus 1182
Zinc 1335
Barium 2
Sus Viscosity 68
Flashpoint 425
Fuel Less than 0.5
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.3

They mentioned that it was a little high- universal averages said 23 ppm iron.

I'm not sure about diesels, but in a gas engine you can expect iron to be significantly higher in a winter OCI. This would be exaggerated in a place like Edmonton where it gets to -35C or colder quite routinely and for long periods in the winter.

I'm guessing your summer UOA at the same mileage will be significantly better.

1st run of an oil might be a little scary.

City driving took its toll. Viscosity is low and a 30wt!

You might be better off using a 5w or 10w--40wt oil w/oil pan heater for the colder months.

Run this oil again. If the Fe doesn't come down, then use something else.

How do I read the viscosity numbers that Blackstone sends with the report? They send it as sub viscosity and not kinematic.

One of the FAQs for using synthetic oil in aircraft, Exxon as I recall, stated that it's common to see higher wear numbers when starting to use a synthetic, and that it's not actual wear.

It seems that oils in engines produce films that incorporate varying amounts of wear metals, and that it may take awhile to stabilize when using a different oil.

I als ojust noticed 'AFE intake', is that an oiled filter ?I would expect an oiled filter to produce more wear, especially in the winter as the oil gets thicker, much thicker in your climate.

Quote:

I als ojust noticed 'AFE intake', is that an oiled filter ?I would expect an oiled filter to produce more wear, especially in the winter as the oil gets thicker, much thicker in your climate.

That contradicts my last UOA with Delo and about the same mileage and conditions-except season. I had 18 ppm iron with Delo and used the same air filter. On top of that, Blackstone assured me twice now the filter is working fine.I have heard others say the same as the previous post about spiked readings when using synthetic for the first time, hopefully that is what is going on.

Quote:

I will keep this in mind though, and will continue to monitor.

"That contradicts my last UOA with Delo and about the same mileage and conditions-except season."

Cold season is what I was most concerned about with an oiled filter, but it's just conjecture (WAG) on my part. Thinking about how oiled filters might work, the media needs to present as much oil to the incoming air as possible in order to provide a surface where particles an collect. It seems that the oil needs to be of low enough viscosity in order to do this, to 'seep' thru any debris collected on the filter media. As the oil gets cold, very cold in your case, it will thicken and not 'seep' as well, reducing filter effectiveness. Perhaps worth checking into, and if a real problem maybe using paper filters in the winter.

Point well taken, I do however disagree on one thing in regards to the oiled filter and that is my silicon count. Would it not be higher (it came in at 7 ppm) if there was an issue with the oiled filter in the winter?

Yes, the silicon level is in the 'no concern' range, but it's still higher than a number of others that I've seen posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back