Torque Converter Shudder additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell, my 98 Yukon has torque converter shudder. I've heard there's an additive to use in the trans for this. Anyone have any recommendations?

Friction modifier, its found on selves in most auto parts stores as transmission anti-shudder or transmission performance booster etc.

This could be a sign that your fluid is "used up" and needs to be replaced. I would do a fluid flush before putting in the additive. A UOA might be a good idea as well.

I'm inclined to agree with Tempest. Sure, as jdean says, there's over the counter friction modifiers available ..but Dex III forward should be fine out of the bottle.

I'd do a full fluid exchange via the cooling lines and see if the condition is still present.

When was your tranny last serviced for filter & fluid ??
If you don't know, we probably can't help you.
dunno.gif

Start with a full flush!

Quote:

The atf was changed out last year along with a filter. I used Havoline atf.

Was that a full flush(machine, cooler line, or TC drainplug), or just the 'pan drop'?

If it was just a pan drop, you need a full flush. Use DexronVI. If that isn't in the budget, any Mercon-V would work well without breaking the budget.

Depending on transmission mileage, maintenance over the last decade, and driving style, it could also be a mechanical issue. Poorly maintained transmissions always develop problems.

This is going to sound a little crazy, but bear with me. I have a 98 Yukon and it used to do that as well. It was the worst when I was visiting a friend and had to drive on a long, winding mountain road. I also noticed it only did it when I had a few people in the car and was accelerating up to highway speed. I had the trans shop check it out and they found nothing. As routine maintenance, I changed the fuel filter and the shake stopped. Turns out if the engine started shaking a little from starvation, the converter wouldn't engage. Now, I change that filter twice a year. Ever seen how small that thing is? I also put a lot of miles on mine, so I run a lot of fuel through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back