Hydraulic clutch fluid change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, my Honda is almost at 60k miles and almost 3 years old. Next weekend I am going to change brakes and bleed the brake fluid with DOT 4. After doing some research I found out that to avoid rusting and future repair of brake components it is recommended to change brake fluid every 2 years or so. Right, this makes sense because brake fluid is hygroscopic - absorbs water, and I’m sure most of us know this already. Anyway, bear with me.

When my car reached about 25k miles the clutch started squeaking, and it was getting so loud that it became really annoying. Again after doing some research I found out that my clutch fluid is the same as brake fluid. So I had some rust accumulated on clutch components. I am not sure about other car manufacturers but I have read stories about Honda owners having costly repairs done at approximately 70k miles due to this problem. I went and bled my clutch right away, the squeak was gone clutch became very smooth. And now the squeak is back at 58K miles. Therefore I think that flushing clutch fluid is as important.

Any opinions, help would be appreciated. Can this be done as preventative maintenance?

Thanks
Dave
smile.gif

The hydraulic system for the clutch is separate from the actual throwout bearing, pressure plate, and disc.
You can fix one and the other can still be worn.
But, I'd change that fluid every year or so. It is very cheap to do, and rather quick and easy. It will keep the clutch master cyl and slave cly is great shape, and the fresh fluid will make things work better.

I change clutch fluid every 2 yrs, same as brakes. I doubt that old fluid would cause anything to squeak, though. That would be a mechanical problem. My wife is on her 3rd Honda and we had superb clutch reliability with the first two. The last one is an automatic, a 5 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back