Is DeVry University worth the money ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a young lady today (cashier at the supermarket) and she was telling me that she is attending Devry University for Business Administration.

I was wondering if her degree will be equivalent to getting a regular 4 year degree from a public university??
dunno.gif

How do potential employers look upon people applying for a position with this type of online degree ?
dunno.gif

I was also wondering if other universities (both public and private) will accept her DeVry degree if she wanted to get a Masters, would they even acknowledge it ?? Or would they look at it as just a worthless piece of paper??
dunno.gif

The reason why I ask all these question is because I didn't want to tell her that she should of spend the same amount of money (student loan) at a public 4 year university.

Thanks for the input,
cheers.gif

William

There's probably a company that will hire her to answer phones, type, classic secretarial stuff, and it'll pay better than the supermarket and be a nicer environment.

Could she have gotten the job without DeVry? Maybe, if she knew someone. I have a cousin in a fairly hot job market who's just out of high school, freshman in college, who's a file girl (they probably have a fancier title) at a law firm and I'm pretty impressed. She got the job the summer before college started.

Having that degree does kind of say, I don't really know what I want but am willing for someone to show me what to do, which an employer will value. In other words, I am sheeple, and will do what I'm told.

Whether credit is transferable to another institution is highly variable.

Being able to step in and start work immediately... knowing one's stuff... is an inducement to hiring.

Coot walked into Omaha wrecking yard boasting of intimate knowledge of the rather complicated software set-up most commonly used by wrecking yards.

That yard used it.

Owner pointed at terminal.....

Coot dazzled onlookers with advanced familiarity of all aspects of the program, from part interchange look-up, retail sales application, interface with other yards and inventory function.

In two minutes owner said hired and after 10 minutes of basic paperwork went to work, making the firm money within the hour.

Too bad that industry is notorious for not sharing the wealth with those creating the wealth.

Anyone got a couple million bucks wanting to start a profitable biz? Shout for Coot. Just be willing to share the profits. Coot may be able to inhabit a wee bit larger shanty with all that wealth.

Oh, forgot sumpthin'.

Good chance that the skill-set obtained via DeVry could also be obtained much cheaper at a community/junior college.

And, better chance that class credits from accredited community college.. the 101 and 102 basic courses, would be accepted at a 4-year college if future higher education is persued.

Get all those pre-req classes out of the way, those credits are good forever, and life is sweeter if one ends up at a 4-year school.

Also kind of neat how some colleges will give credit for some life experience (proof needed) and/or military training. Four-year college I infested gave me 15 units of credit for military training. Great time and expense saver.

Counsellor did act rather disgusted I had been in the military. But, what with the "leftward" leanings of the instructors and bureaucrats sucking up the taxpayer's money for minimal effort on the job the attitude was not surprising.

Coot remained civil, knowing he was dealing with an inferior and thay those folks need gentle handling so as to prevent causing mental trauma within the inferior human unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back