bleeding problem with lucas red'n'tacky grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a husqvarna snowblower and in doing a complete overhaul on the thing I pulled the worm gearcase apart to inspect and relube. A link to pics of the gearcase here:
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=husqvarna&mn=ST+724+(1997-01)&dn=23240009

it's a steel worm gear on the input which turns a brass straight cut gear to rotate the output shafts (which turn the big augers). Being 10+ years old, good thing I did what i did because there was a huge lack of grease and a lot of yellow shavings in there.
Got everything back together, and decided to go with lucas red'n'tacky grease based on their description of the product, it was available and economical.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=46&catid=2&loc=show

My biggest concern is I've lost at least 5 oz of oil, completely liquid, out of my grease gun. Laying on my bench, I'll have a foot in diamter puddle of oil from my grease gun every week. This stuff bleeds like crazy. I know grease is supposed to bleed a little, but how much is too much?
I tapped in a zerk so I can easily grease the gear case, and it is full of grease. When I first rotated the augers after filling the gearcase, I got moderate grease leakage out the input shaft seal, pulled the zerk and had about a 3-4" goober of grease 1/4" in diameter come out. Replaced the zerk, so now the gearcase should not be overfilled or overpressurized with grease, and I still get moderate seepage and bleeding of grease and oil. And the seals are good! Should I be concerned about the grease?

Pull the plunger back when you arent using the grease gun..All greases are going to bleed under pressure.

a puddle is way to much do not use it get a newer tube or try another grease if its contaminated or not gelled correctly it will keep on bleeding.

bruce

it looks like the grease gun i was using was the problem. had a rubber plunger in it, different from the other 2 guns i have, that was still pressurizing the cartridge even though the handle was pulled back. made a mess trying to get the cartrdige out of the gun; it was an old gun i inherited from a friend so go figure. i pulled the cartrdige out and it's not bleeding out by itself now, what's left anyway, so i'm pretty sure it was the grease gun.
and i got my snowblower back together last week and the worm gearcase has been pretty dry and stable for the past month, so I don't think the lucas grease was at fault, which is good.

Quote:

it looks like the grease gun i was using was the problem. had a rubber plunger in it, different from the other 2 guns i have, that was still pressurizing the cartridge even though the handle was pulled back. made a mess trying to get the cartrdige out of the gun; it was an old gun i inherited from a friend so go figure. i pulled the cartrdige out and it's not bleeding out by itself now, what's left anyway, so i'm pretty sure it was the grease gun.
and i got my snowblower back together last week and the worm gearcase has been pretty dry and stable for the past month, so I don't think the lucas grease was at fault, which is good.

I think its the red and tacky, I have the same problem with a new tube of grease and a new grease gun. I will pull it and put in the tube of amsoil I have, it hasn't been bleeding as of yet even though its open on the self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back