Honda CR-V 2001 Rear Diff Oil Change question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 AWD CR-V is now due for the rear differential Oil Change. So I went to the local Honda dealer to get the correct "Honda Dual Pump Fluid", but this time, the dealer also gave me the AC Delco Limited Slip Differential additive and said that I add the entire bottle (3.85oz) to the 1 liter of Dual pump fluid when I change the Oil.

Now this is the first time the dealer is advising to add this LS additive to the Honda fluid and in the past I have changed the fluid approx 4 times and never added any LS additive to the fluid.

Is there any harm is adding this additive to the Honda fluid? Will it do any good/bad to the differential? Any suggestions????

TIA.

canada.gif

Quote:

I never heard of that........I'd call another dealer and ask them. Honda recommending AC Delco???
confused.gif

Yes, I am wondering the same thing. It's too late now on Saturday, but I will definately call other dealers on Monday to see what they say and will also call Honda Canada and ask them too.

The LSD additive helps with noise control since the OEM fluid life is a joke.
If new fluid doesn't eliminate noise, the only option is to rebuild the rearend. LSD additive is a cheaper way to get rid of the noise.

No, its not Honda approved. But, trying to get people to maintain the 'other' fluids is difficult enough.

If you have no rearend noise, consider frequent fluid change intervals. Honda's recommended change interval just about guarantees short diff life!

Failed PS pumps, failed automatics, failed rearends,....... Honda has definitely messed up a lot!

The CRV diffs should be changed at 25-30k. Otherwise they start whining and then continue forever. Never thought about adding the GM LS modifier. Is there a better diff fluid out there with the LS modifier in it?

Honda recommends changing the rear differential fluid every 30k miles in the CRV and every 15k miles in some other Honda vehicles. The Honda rear differential unit is quite different compared to your typical rear differential, so I'd suggest sticking with the OEM fluid and nothing else. Instead, change the fluid more frequently.

We need a VOA of the OEM dual-pump prior to seeing if there are equivalents.

15k-20k fluid changes should be considered. I also wouldn't buy a used Honda without researching the vehicles known issues and owners maintenance history.

Thanks for your comments guys.

I have been changing the Diff fluid at approx 35-40K kms in the past and think that is a fair OCI and will stick to it.

As, for calling other dealers in my area, I called 5 of them this morning and every one else says that I do not need to ( or rather must not) add anything to the Dual Pump fluid. All of them were really surprised that I had bought the AC Delco Additive from this dealer and all just said a big NO to add anything.

I guess I will just use the Honda fluid and will not add anything. It has worked for me in the past so it will be O.K. now to just use the Honda Fluid.

canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back