Mobil Delvac 1 2004 VW Jetta PD 20,250 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested, here is my latest UOA with specifics listed below.
Lab used was Predictive Maintenance Services

Car: 2004 Jetta GL (PD)
Miles on car at time of sample: 110,490
Oil used: Mobil Delvac 1 5w40
The oil was in the engine from September 28th, 2006 until April 7th, 2007
Fuel used was almost exclusively BP #2 ULSD (plus 2 tankfuls of Sunoco B20)
4 ounces of Stanadyne Performance Formula were added at each fill up
Driving style: easy, with shifts between 2000 and 2500 rpms, and with fewer highway miles than previously driven.

Iron 57
Chromium 2
Lead 6
Copper 7
Tin 0
Aluminum 10
Nickel 1
Silver 0
Boron 21
Sodium 6
Potassium 6
Magnesium 322
Calcium 2617
Phosphorus 1143
Zinc 1260
Molybdenum 1
Fuel A
Water Glycol N
Visc @100c 14.5
TBN 7.52
Soot 0.4
Oxidation 15.00
Nitration 10.00

Comments from Predictive Maintenance Services:
"Mark:
Attached is the UOA for your vehicle. If this sample represents a 20K OIC,
then all is doing extremely well. TBN is surprisingly strong for this
mileage.
Wear levels and contamination appear normal. No corrective action indicated by tests performed. Continue normal PM and sample interval.
Thanks for continuing to choose AV Lubes and Predictive Maintenance for your
oil testing needs."
xxx xxxxxxxxxx
Chief Analyst

My comments:
The previous high number for FE was 68 at 40,259 miles.
I have run D1 in this engine since February 4th 2006, and for the last 50,000 miles.
This engine has a history of producing little soot, and TBN retention when using this oil has always been excellent. The oil remained solidly in the 40-weight range during this timeframe.

At 100k, (December, 2006) the timing belt was changed, and as part of that process, we removed the EGR valve and cam cover to have a look. Photos of the cam and rollers are posted in the photo section on TDIClub.com. It has since been checked again and there are no visible signs of wear. Nor can any wear be felt to the touch. The EGR valve was only slightly coked-up and the intake manifold was clean enough to require no action. The airbox was removed during the sampling timeframe and could explain the slightly elevated silicon level.

I had extended my OCI to 15k as a result of previous samplings.

This oil sample has 20,250 miles on it.
shocked.gif

Stating the bleeding obvious Delvac 1 is one of the best oils you can buy bar none. If everybody ran D1 there would be a lot less engine problems. Mobil spent a squilion dollars developing this oil, we should take advantage of that that money well spent IMO. Just my 2c

I don't see how one could do better than Delvac 1, especially at $6.00 USD/qt.(in Mobil 1 TDT form) Quite surprisingly to me, this UOA has garnered relatively little attention here.
confused.gif

Yeah I missed this one. Well I think we all know Delvac 1 is one of the best oils on Earth.

Quote:

Stating the bleeding obvious Delvac 1 is one of the best oils you can buy bar none. If everybody ran D1 there would be a lot less engine problems. Mobil spent a squilion dollars developing this oil, we should take advantage of that that money well spent IMO. Just my 2c

Well on Bob is the oil Guy I read Amsoil is the best oil in the world and is warranted for up to 25,000 or 35,000 miles ,depending on which oil is used.

Quote:

Quite surprisingly to me, this UOA has garnered relatively little attention here.
confused.gif

It's not surprising at all, even in a PD engine. We have come to expect consistently good results from Delvac. After 100 good used-oil tests from Delvac, #101 is no big deal. (I exaggerate but only slightly.)

People want to read good UOA from some unusual product, or bad UOA from just about anything.

We still need to see what the results will be in the long term - are there not differences in the upper rings between a conventional truck diesel and the later VW engines- is no one concerned with the high ash content, it may be detrimental when used for extended period. TR, are the pistons the same in my PD as in your older engine. If they are then there is little to worry about as Delvac has been used for a long time in the older engines. The question is how will it do on the long run in the newer engines.

Not sure where you read that Steve S. but again your fixation on hacking Amsoil floats to the top. Just get over it man. I know you can. Seems like about every few months I need to remind you.

Any oil consumption?

Delvac is a great oil. Tough to find around here but a good oil. It's ideal for this situation, and the results show it.

Pablo,
A total of 600ml of makeup oil was added over the 20k. Probably because of its higher NOACK number, Delvac 1 seems to be "consumed" (evaporative loss) at a slightly higher rate than the 505.01 oils I used during the warranty period.

The car was operated in temperatures from -10F to +86F. It does not have TDI heater and is usually not garaged even in cold weather.

At each oil change since 60k, the oil filter was removed from the filter housing and placed on a clean paper towel in a clean plastic pan to drain. Then, I cut each end off the filter and then split the filter media lengthwise. Each pleat was checked under bright light for metal particles and contaminates. None have ever been found.

I have noticed no difference in engine smoothness or mileage since switching to D1.

On the TDI forums, this oil is highly regarded as the most durable oil of them all.

Quote:

Quote:

Well on Bob is the oil Guy I read Amsoil is the best oil in the world and is warranted for up to 25,000 or 35,000 miles ,depending on which oil is used.

Pablo ,I was sticking up for Amsoil is this case .

A five quart jug of this oil is available at Walmart for $22+. This a great bargin. This is what I am currently running in my car.

Can I ask,does the fact that 20k was done in 6 months,which would equate to highway miles,skew the results some??? I understand it is stellar,just wondering??

D1 (TDT) is one of the best oils available. Whether its worth the price always comes down to how low you can keep the soot levels. TBN seems to last forever. The limit is almost always soot loading. I have a friend with a CAT C15 with 400,000+ mi on his current fill of D1 oil with a Gulf Coast Bypass Filter (He is in one of Gulf Coast's Commercials) . His current Soot Level is around 1.9% and TBN is around 8.0. However you do replace a fair amount of oil when servicing the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back