07 Camry 2.4 vvti??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLG

I know this engine specs 5w20, but does it need any special oil (synthetic)? I have looked through the owners manual and only see the 5w20 recomendation, however I got the first oil change done at the dealership and they told me they were charging me $50 for an oil change because the oil was special. They were unable to tell me what made it special. I will now be doing the oil changes and wonder id dino 5-20 is ok. and also if anyone has purchased any oil filters for an 07 do you know any part # none of the local parts stores seem to know for sure.

If the owner's manual doesn't mention a synthetic oil requirement, and the oil fill cap doesn't either, then any 5W-20 oil (conventional, semi-synthetic or synthetic) can be used.

There's nothing special about the oil your dealership uses, $50 is outrageous. Use any 5w20 oil in that Camry
smile.gif

What was "special" about that oil change was that the dealer converted an oil change into a fraud. The 2AZ-FE does NOT require synthetic oil (though it certainly won't hurt it) at all. You should IMMEDIATELY report this dealer to Toyota, and identify it here so that other members from the area may be aware that this stealer will lie, cheat, and steal from its customers.
mad.gif

Here is what the service manual states in regard to fluid type:

*Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

GRADE: API grade SL Energy-Conserving or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

RECOMMENDED OIL VISCOSITY: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20

I don't see anything special about that. Maybe it was the lube job that they gave you that was special.

The 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4L uses the same filter as the 2002-6 Toyota Camry 2.4L.

You can use the following filters:
Napa 1396 or Purolator PL14477 or L14477.

If you want the best gas mileage, an xW20 oil will be best, the 20 weight oils are a little harder to find at discount. I think the Motorcraft 5W20 Syn blend at Walmart is one of the cheapest I have seen and will easily take you to a 5K oci. I think I have seen Pennzoil 5W20 at Walmart as well.

I have had great results with Mobil 1 0w20 in my Prius. Bill in Utah gets great results with Castrol GTX 5W30 in his 2005 Corolla (3 ppm Fe in 5.8k miles, during Jan and Feb no less!). He drives a lot of highway miles and gets great gas mileage so I don't think he stomps on the gas pedal all the time.

Any SM oil will be fine, I think you may get a little better gas mileage with M1 0W20, but it will cost an extra $20 per oil change. If you got 30 mpg over 5k miles at $2.75/gal the gas would cost about $458. Lets say Mobil 1 0w20 results in 31 mpg over 5k miles, at the same gas price your total gas cost would now be about $444 so it would be almost a wash in total cost, but if it were my car I would choose the synthetic for $6 extra. Many would argue that the synthetic does not give you better gas mileage than the dino, I have no proof either way because lately I have been using only synthetic. Bill in Utah has tried both and saw no fuel economy difference and better UOA results using dino. If he is right about the fuel economy, then dino will save you money, especially if you look for closeouts and other specials and get your oil for 50 to 70 cents per quart. I doubt there are a lot of great deals on 20 weight oil, I think you'll have to pay at least $10 for a 5 quart bottle. Good luck.

Dennis

Quote:

What was "special" about that oil change was that the dealer converted an oil change into a fraud. The 2AZ-FE does NOT require synthetic oil (though it certainly won't hurt it) at all. You should IMMEDIATELY report this dealer to Toyota, and identify it here so that other members from the area may be aware that this stealer will lie, cheat, and steal from its customers.
mad.gif

Yes, we got a great deal on the car and I was quoted 1 price over the phoneI think it was 34 or something similar so I took it in then they hit me with the special oil deal. I told them they just cost themselves alot of money because I will never go back for service or for another car again. Dealership is Fox Toyota in East Providence RI if anyone in the area is interested.

Quote:

The 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4L uses the same filter as the 2002-6 Toyota Camry 2.4L.

You can use the following filters:
Napa 1396 or Purolator PL14477 or L14477.

Thank you for the filter recomendations.

Quote:

mad.gif

The recommended oil for the 2AZ-FE is either 5W20 or 0W20. Many dealerships, due to low demand for XW-20 oils in the current Toyota line-up, are refusing to stock 5W20 convention in bulk. As a result, they are using bottled 0W20 synthetic oil in all vehicles that requires the XW-20 oils. Perhaps your service advisor was referring to the oil as "special" to simply make it easier for you to understand...instead of explaining the various viscosities as most people simply do not care nor understand.

Quote:

...however I got the first oil change done at the dealership and they told me they were charging me $50 for an oil change because the oil was special.

At the dealership here, they charge $49.95 for an oil change using Toyota 0W20 bottled oil.

Quote:

Quote:

...however I got the first oil change done at the dealership and they told me they were charging me $50 for an oil change because the oil was special.

At the dealership here, they charge $49.95 for an oil change using Toyota 0W20 bottled oil.

That could very well be it, but I did ask if they used syn and they could not give me an answer. That would have saved them alot of money too bad for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back