T-IV Transmission Fluid, can't find any

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AVEO uses this fluid, and is a hair low, and I can't find this stuff anywhere. I dont want to get it from the dealer because they charge too much $$$$ for anything. Where is it sold? Also is there a synthetic T-IV?

Toyota only approve T-IV ATF where specified. There is a lot of info on the net on this issue because Toyota owners want alternatives and cannot find them.

There is an equivalent product called Mobil 3309 ATF but it seems that it is difficult to obtain in anything less than bulk quantities (ie. drums):

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

All the car companies with models utilizing Aisin Warner transmissions like Toyota, Mazda, Volvo etc either specifiy their own ATF or Mobil 3309. Mazda is the only company to have a TSB actually specifying that you can use any of them (eg. Mazda say you can use Toyota T-IV if Mobil 3309 is unavailable)

There is no synthetic ATF approved by Toyota. AMSOIL make a synthetic ATF that they have tested to work well in transmissions needing T-IV and back it with their own warranty.

T-IV is relatively cheap so cost shouldn't be an issue with using it.

I got a quart from an Orlando Toyota dealer for less than $5.00.

You can also get the same thing from a Ford or Lincoln/Mercury Dealer, called "Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid" Part Number XT-8-QAW. Cost will be about $6.00.

The above two fluids are the same as the Mobil ATF 3309 (aka Mobil JWS 3309), but you can find them at any Toyota or Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer. I've never seen the 3309 sold anywhere.

Try the Toyota dealer, that's where I get mine. I pay about $5/qt. The cheapest I've seen it anywhere is $3.80/qt from a Mobil distributor sold by the case (12 qts) for Mobil ATF 3309.

Any multivehicle univeral ATF can be used. Local stores usually have the Pennzoil and Castrol. Valvoline Maxlife and MerconV can also be used.

For a top off, any quality ATF can be used.

do a search on the internet for part number 00279-000t4-01 for quart size. cheapest find I found online was toyotapart.com for $3.72/qt

You're in PA? Thompson Toyota in Doylestown sells mail order for less than $4 per quart. check out irontoad.com weird name for their website, but I've ordered many Toyota parts from them over the years and have had good luck and good prices.

HACCOFFICER:

Hopefully, you're not changing the tranny fluid in that AVEO as often as you're changing your oil (still at 3k OCIs)?

I'd use Amsoil ATF, especially if you're racking up significant highway miles and a high number of miles per year. That T-IV ain't as great as Toyota would like for everyone to believe.

Hey dude,
I have been using the Quaker State All makes/models semi syn tranny oil for over 25,000kms now......, and the tranny has never shifted better.
Does it get cold where you live ?, this QS stuff is also great in cold weather.

Quote:

My AVEO uses this fluid, and is a hair low, and I can't find this stuff anywhere. I dont want to get it from the dealer because they charge too much $$$$ for anything. Where is it sold? Also is there a synthetic T-IV?

The T-IV requirement is actually an Aisin-Warner requirement. Anyone using these transmissions has an identical specification: Type T-IV, JWS 3309, GM 9986195 and VW/Audi G-055-025-A2.

ExxonMobil sells an "ATF 3309" and any Ford, GM, Audi, VW which sell ATF that meets one of the above specs is selling an ATF you can use.

Several of the majors recommend their "universal" or "multi-vehicle" products for the same specification. Ashland Refining (Valvoline) did a technical paper some months ago outlining how they plan on meeting future transmission fluid requirements, and they believe this specification can be met with a multi-vehicle tranmission fluid.

Also, if the trans is just a hair low, any transmission protectant can be added as a top off. Lubegard/Smartblend/Gunk/Lucas/CRC would be easy choices.

I didn't know that the aveos used an AW transmission either. anyone see the minicar concept by GM daewoo I posted in auto and gen forum?

Call 3-4 Toyota dealers in the area and don't be fooled by the "universal atf" garbage. There are many Toyota mechanics who will tell you NOT to use anything but T-IV in a AW transmission. Besides T-IV is cheaper than Amsoil and only about a $1 more than Maxlife ATF.

Or, don't be fooled by OEM only ATF must be used!

Sorry, but every univeral ATF that I've installed has NEVER caused a single problem. And, thats several hundred cars that I've serviced with non-OEM spec'd fluid.

I have yet to bounce a transmission from non-OEM fluid.

I certainly would not use just any "universal ATF" just because it has the word "universal" on the label. There are a couple that claim compatibility with T-IV and these would probably be OK. I agree with others that Toyota T-IV is cheap at $4-$5 per quart. You don't need a lot so it is worth it to ensure you have the right product. If you can find the Mobil 3309, this is likely the exact same thing. Look on the Mobil website for a distributor in your area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back