Bell Bicycles Self-Sealing Inner Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first flat tire in three years on my '04 Specialized HardRock. When I purchased the bicycle, I had a set of tire liners installed into the 26 X 2.00 Specialized Enduro OEM tires. Somehow, a thorn hit the tire in an area that the liner was not covering, so, I got a flat, and had to replace the tube with this:

IMG_0269edited.jpg

$5.99 at Walmart. I was looking for the conventional inner tube, but no luck. I had to settle for this slime filled tube, which I'm not terribly fond of as it gummed up my bicycle pump and air pressure gauge when I attempted to fill/check the pressure.
mad.gif

Does anyone have any experience with these self-sealing tubes in general? Or Slime? How effective is it?

BTW, I used an oversized flathead screwdriver to replace the tire. It worked quite well, saved me the cost of tire levers.

Quote:

BTW, I used an oversized flathead screwdriver to replace the tire. It worked quite well, saved me the cost of tire levers.

Those tire levers are insanely costly!

The Slime supposedly works, but I hate the weight.
After the bike has been sitting for a few hours, pick up the front and rotate the tire 90* and release it. Amazing how fast the heavy spot heads to the bottom.

I been fortunate so far flat wise (knock on wood), so I avoid the Slime.

I wouldn't bother with tire liners. I have however heard good things about SpinSkins, but they cost as much as premium tires. I prefer puncture-resistant tires, which are also a bit lighter than tires with an added liner. All major bike tire makers, among them Conti, Schwalbe, and Specialized have puncture resistant tires. I have had these Specialized tires on my bike for over a year, and I love them not only for the grip they offer but also for their puncture resistance. This is primarily a road/hardpack tire.

Quote:

Quote:

Those tire levers are insanely costly!

I always had problems with popping holes in the new tube using a big screwdriver.
mad.gif
I have a plastic or some kind of composite lever that works really well.
cheers.gif

A tire lever will not damage the tire bead, the rim or the tube. With my tire/rim combination I really don't need tire levers, but for convenience I do carry two of them in my bike's toolkit. Not sure how someone would carry a large screwdriver with them while biking. Maybe in a calf holster?
tongue.gif

Quote:

I always had problems with popping holes in the new tube using a big screwdriver.
mad.gif
I have a plastic or some kind of composite lever that works really well.
cheers.gif

I only use the screwdriver for removal. There's no need to use any tool for installation. Just work slowly and wrestle with the tire and it'll go on just fine.

FTR, I'll purchase a set of tire levers one of these days.

Pinch flats were what always got me (from running too low a psi), rarely did I get a hole from a nail or thorn. Slime won't heel a smiley pinch.

Get tires like mine then (talking 26" ATB tires here). They can handle up to 100 psi. I run the rear usually at 80 psi and the front at 70 psi. If you manage to get a pinch flat at such high psi you will probably lose the rim in the process.

A very puncture resistant tire that some of my friends like is the Schwalbe Marathon. I think it's heavy, though.

PS: Mike, make sure to not overpay on those tire levers.
PPS: Really cheap ones break easily
tongue.gif

My rear tube for my motorized bike has a non-repairable flat so I bought a Slime brand tube. Nice tube! The schrader valve is decent quality. A bit heavy, but I always get flats (thorns mostly), so we'll see!!

For removal I never use metal tools - I have one purpose made tire tool and a plastic trim tool. They work great.

I have one of those inner tube on my Diamondback and it appears to hold air fairly well. My heavy bike does not have shocks and most punctures seem to be on the inside facing the spokes. I just took some electrical tape and line it on the inside of the rim. My other bike I just got a bottle of that Slime and filled it myself, should work just as good. The only problem with filling it yourself is when you fill and check tire pressure later on, some Slime will squirt out. As for tire pressure I run the lower end as recommended on the tire (max 60psi), 40psi front and rear.

When I do long rides, 15 miles or more I carry a small pump, spare tube, tire lever and a few necessary tools. Tire levers are not that expensive ~$10 for the plastic kind, works great. I would get a flat tire on the day I didn't bring anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: MarkC
Wait a minute, you got a motorized bike? I missed that.

Motorized Diamondback

I need to take some newer pictures. Finally got it in some level of tune yesterday. I made the mistake of following the instructions for the carb assembly... and it was running super rich!! I figured it out intuitively, the Han instructions were bass ackwards.....I still need to take the needle out one more time and adjust it to get a good idle, but it was running well on the throttle......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back