Mobil 1 - good, bad, not worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondering how everyone feels about Mobil 1. Is it worth the price? Is Mobil 1 better than other off the shelf "synthetics"? It seems like almost every automotive forum has a loyal M1 fanbase - is this just because of good marketing?

Also, if you're using it, how much $ are you getting it for?

thanks

IMHO it's not worth the price anymore. I used to use it for years upon years. Not anymore.

PP at $3/qt this month from AAP is a much better buy for your money (if you insist on sticking with syn).

Mobil 1 is good. Delvac 1 and Turbo Truck 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-20, and perhaps the new Mobil 1 High Mileage oils are the oils I think are most interesting.

With price increases I feel that Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower are as good for much less money. Checkers, Schucks, Kragen, Murray's, and Advanced Auto Parts have had or are having sales with blowout prices.

For Premium synthetic oil look at Redline and Amsoil.

After seeing recent UOAs with M1, i'd say it is not worth it. You are getting nothing extra from paying more. I would also highly recommend PP and Valvoline Synpower over Mobil1. I'd also recommend Royal Purple or Amsoil if you are looking for a boutique oil.

Mobil-1 regular or EP doesn't show any better wear levels than much cheaper synthetics like Quaker State, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec.... etc. Plus Exxon-Mobil never runs any promotions/sales of their synthetic oils nor do the techs there offer real names when replying to our emails for oil information - so it never sees my money anymore.... gas stations included.

Several months ago I used to get M1 at wallmart for around 22 bucks, now its like 29.xx or something, I think it's not worth it, especially when other brands show same or better results for half the price. just my 2 cents

Well, I use the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 and feel it is the best oil I have ever used. I am not sure about the whole line of products but it is the only one we will be using in the two Volvos we have. I am a fan of Mobil 1 but the other brands are good as well and becomes a toss-up for price choice.

I am convinced Pennzoil Platinum is as good if not better than Mobil1. I bought 4 cases of Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 this morning in San Antonio for $72 bucks out the door. That is 24 quarts / $72 = $3 bucks per quart. If Mobil1 was $3 bucks a quart I'd still go with PP...but the pricing just makes it a no brainer.

I liked M1 5w-30 then at 4k miles it got very watery in my Tundra I think they call it shearing, so I switched to German Castrol 0w-30 I bought enough for two years worth of OCI I do it every 6 months.

On my 2005 Civic I just went with PP cant beat the price.

Mobil 1 15W50 is the best oil I`ve ever used (the regular Mobil 1,not the Extended Performance). Walmart here has the 5 quart containers for $23.

I used nothing but M1 10w30 when it was $19.xx for a 5qt jug. Now I use any syn that I can find for super cheap after rebates. For *most* cars, the engines will never know the difference. M1 has served me well, but my frugality and BITOG reading has dropped it from my stash.

Its [still] good; not bad; but no longer worth it (for me).

Quote:

What`s everyone`s long term results with Royal Purple?

There is not much out there for that. Many people run RP and just love it so much they dont worry about seeing how well it is doing. If you visit the mustang forums you can see some evidence of this. Many people using, no one getting it tested.

On that note, i'm running RP 5w20 in my Mazda6i. I have 15k on the car so I'm going to hopefully get the RP tested regularly. I hope to have a UOA done by the end of summer. If all looks well i'll run my OCI out to 7,500 miles.

Even before joining BITOG, I was getting ready to switch off of synthetics in general and M1 in particular. Why? because when I traded my old vehicle in, nobody cared how good the engine condition was and I believe conventional would have been okay for the mileage I traded in (115k miles). Rest of the car was falling apart or so I wanted to believe.

Engines are outlasting everything else in cars nowadays. Sure engine will go upto 300k miles on synthetic but more than likely, you wont keep it that long. If you do, then fine.. I think realistically, dino changed on time will get you to 200k.

Currently, I have GTX in my crankcase and it seems to "like" it. Running smooth.

I don't see anything special about Mobil-1. UOAs have never demonstrated it's superiority over other name brand synthetics and in some applications M1 has historically shown higher Iron numbers than do most other oils. Mobil has simply spent much more money for a much longer time on marketing it's synthetic than the rest of the industry put together. I include Mobil's deal with manufacturers like the Corvette and the new Acura RDX as marketing money spent.

There used to be a loyal fan base based on their view that Mobil-1 was the only mass market synthetic which was built with "real" synthetic PAO base oils. Castrol and others have long used a Group III oil (derived from crude oil) as their synthetic base. Recently there has been a great deal of controversy over the question of whether or not Mobil is doing the same thing.

Personally I am very comfortable using any of the name brand synthetics for sub-10k mile OCIs.

Reason I was wondering about others` experiences with Royal Purple is that I tried it one time awhile back. It was awesome stuff for the first few hundred miles,then it seemed to degrade really fast. I started getting noisy startups (lifter tick/piston slap). Sounded like I was starting a dry engine (sort`ve sounded like a diesel starting up). Then one morning on startup my exhaust started billowing out smoke.

I immediately drained it and replaced it with my trusty Mobil 1 and the problem never happened again. I know a few other Z owners who experienced the very same problems with Royal Purple. Maybe VG30DE engines just don`t like RP oil,who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back