PT Cruiser Turbo and 0W oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I have a 2004 PT Cruiser GT. I'm presently using Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W30. The Chrysler recommends 5w30 oil in this car. Being that this car is a turbo, what would you experts (of which I am definitely not one)feel about switching to 0W30 or 0W40 synthetic oil for my car? Any pros or cons to switching to a 0 weight oil? Protection for turbo such as hot temps, coking etc, etc.

Thank you very much for reading my post.
I don't know too much about oil and how it reacts to turbos. I appreciate any feedback.

smile.gif

Just run a good quality synthetic 5w30, like amsoil or redline, and the only thing you'll need to worry about is getting tickets
wink.gif

Well, the PP 5w30 would be hard to beat outside of Amsoil/Redline since Chrysler recommends 5w30. Mobil 1 makes a great 5w30 synthetic as well if you want to avoid the other two I mentioned as I love how Mobil 1 performs in my vehicles. Of course I am using the M1 5w40 TSUV which is different from the 5w30 they offer. Best of luck with your choices.

I've been using Castrol 0W30 (german...green variety) in my normally-aspirated 2003 PT Cruiser for about 20,000 miles (got enough to get me to about 80,000 miles with 5,000 OCI) and the analysis I had performed was excellent. The car has just over 60,000 miles and has been flawless...best car I've ever owned. I'll probably go to the current Castrol 0W30 (gold variety) when this stuff is used up. This oil is very resistant to shear and the car seems to run great using it. I'd recommend it to anyone...

From the Amsoil website:
2004 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code 8 Turbo
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above 0°F......10W-30
Below 100°F......5W-30[1]
1. SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
Amsoil does recommend their 0W30 for your turbo vehicle.
Amsoil considers turbos to be severe service and only recommends up to 17,500 mile/1 year oil change intervals.

OW-30 will typically just add more low temperature protection, not hurt the high end as it would be synthetic at this point.

I only have a n/a Cruiser, but it seems to love PP!

Just stick with that, unless you take it to the track or whatnot, and then you might look into Redline...

Quote:

Amsoil does recommend their 0W30 for your turbo vehicle.

Amsoil recommends the Series 2000 for just about every vehicle. However, when using a turbo, I have heard that the Series 3000 5w-30 is better at handling the heat of the turbo.

An Amsoil dealer explained to me that when he used the 0w-30 in his turbo Volvo, he couldn't extend his OCI past 7,500 miles and verified with UOAs. But he did manage to get the 10w-30 ATM to go 20,000+ miles and verified it with a UOA. He also used the Series 3000 and liked it over both of those oils, but did not state how long he managed to run the OCI.

Good info CT. I don't think Amsoil recommends their 0W30 for turbo Volvo's. I looked a few up and they only recommend their European 5W40 for that application. So not sure the oils he is using is the best for his application. Amsoil corporate doesn't seem to think so. In the Turbo Volvo application, Amsoil only recommends to follow the extended drain recommendation in the owners manual, or a UOA to extend further. This is why I think it is important to check your owners manual and check with the oil manufacturer to determine proper oil selection.

This was an older Turbo Volvo, but you do have a point, he may have been choosing the wrong oil. This was also before the introduction of the European 5w-40 oil as well, so Amsoil may have had different recommendations prior to that.

My 04 Stage 1 PT GT does extremely well on PP 5w30.
Had GC until the last few changes but turbo spool and mileage show a slight increase with PP.

FWIW, M1 5W30 meets Honda's new turbo standard. I'm sure PP is fine. I've only run one change of it in my SAAB. But nothing exploded.....
laugh.gif
I have more but am paranoid about 30 weight now for another, saab-specific reason (shoddy oil pump clearances).

Thanks so far for all these informative answers people I really do appreciate them all. It looks as though the PP 5w30 sounds fine. I'll keep checking for more answers.

Wow! my first post and lots of help already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back