Civic ATF dipstick does not seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 civic. ATF dipstick is "loose", i.e. the ribbed rubber grommet does not seat against the walls of the fill hole and the stick is free to just "jump out" with a good bump in the road. has anyone else encountered this??

I'm just wondering if I had a brain #@$%! and am missing something (like is there a special way to insert it so that it stays tight?). owner's manual says nothing about that.

Our 99 is the same way, but seems to plug the fill hole. When I first discovered it, I was worried and the dealer invited me to just buy a new dipstick. I never got around to it, and haven't had a problem 4 years. I give it a good look when I change the oil and it never looks different and doesn't leak.

That sounds like what our 2000 Civic looked like. The dipstick was pretty loose in the hole - it felt like a good bump would knock it out.

However, it never gave us any problems. Although the accident that killed the car (somebody ran a red light and t-boned it) did jar it loose, I think. I noted this while poking around under the hood things out.

crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back