Recommended plugs for a 5.3L GM V8??

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 60K miles, I thought I'd change my plugs in my 04 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. Its seen some heavy work plowing over the winter, and I'd like to get them out before they corrode in the heads.

Does anyone have any recommendations on plugs for this animal? The local parts store recommended iridium plugs, but I'd sacrifice longevity for performance. Would copper core plugs perform better? Would they work well with the individual coils above each plug? What heat range?

Thanks!

I put a set of NGK TR6 plugs in a 2001 5.3. Those are one step colder than stock, and made maybe a slight difference in the hot-weather ping I was trying to solve with a colder plug. The idle is getting a little uneven after 18-20 months, so new plugs will probably be a spring project.

TR55's are praised often on some truck performance forums I used to read--those are the regular/V-Power replacement for the stock plugs. GM recommends an iridium plug with a different gap now, even for engines that came with platinums. The NGK stock number for the OEM platinum plug is 7862, if I'm remembering right.

My understanding is that all plugs are "copper core," and that metals like platinum or iridium are on one or both electrodes for longevity. With your engine design, the only issue with plain-tip plugs would be more frequent changes. According to your post, it seems like you don't mind pulling the plugs more often anyway. With a coil on each plug, I can't see new spark plugs making a performance difference unless the current ones are in bad shape.

AC Delco #41-985 gapped @ .040 is the recommended plug for your truck.

There is no performance difference between copper and Iridium plugs, but the Iridium's will last longer. I've got a set of factory original AC Delco double platinum's with over 90,000 miles on them. I took them out last night to re-gap them, and then put them back in because they looked great.
smile.gif

Post #500
patriot.gif

I installed the NGK TR55's gapped at .044 in my 02 Silverado 5.3L. They are running great. Seemed to get a better throttle responce. I had 74k on the original ACDelco's which when I pulled them they looked good. I was going on a 1400 mile trip one way and wanted to give the truck a complete tune to get the most on mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back