Pressure washer car wash-Do they strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does pressure washer car wash soap strip the wax off the cars surface? Is the soap too harsh?Thanks Joe
driving.gif

I'd say "yes" but how much depends on which wax you used (some are more detergent-resistant than others) and how good of a wax job was done to the vehicle prior to washing.

Many car wash operators are going to use inexpensive detergents that have a good amount of cleaning ability. They want low costs and happy customers whose cars are clean when they leave. So the chances of the operator using a strong detergent are pretty good IMO.

Also, keep in mind the wands distribute many different types of chemicals depending on your selection. So it's possible, even probable, that the wand could have engine degreaser or tire cleaner in it eventhough you selected the soap setting. It's happened to me and made a mess of my paint job, to the point where I had to repolish and rewax. Gotta be careful out there.

Use NuFinish and you won't have a problem. It lasts and is super durrable. Or just wash by hand with your hose at home and you will be fine. Good luck!

Some people, like myself, do not have the capability to wash cars at home. I have to go to the car wash in town to do it.

What type of car wash are you using, the ones where you put quarters and wash the car yourself or the automated ones?

I only use the self services ones. I bring all my own stuff, bucket, mit, shampoo, and drying cloths. I only pay quarters to get water out of the pressure wash hose thing but I never squeeze the trigger.

If you are using the soap that comes out of the brush at the car wash, that brush can damage the finish on your car because there is dirt from other people's cars. And since the car wash owner is in the business of selling water, some operators intentionally put soap that doesn't dissolve so well forcing you to buy more water to wash the soap off.

I would say they do, granted my car is a bit old but I took it to one last week and it stripped some paint off the roof...

sure, they will typically peel some wax off. if it's possible, try to use a spray wax after you wash your vehicle at the car wash. mine always gets eagle one waud or meguiar's quik wax after a wash. there are other products that perform similarly. they are just booster waxes that don't have great longevity, but provide a sacrificial layer for the real wax below.

A friend is a dealer of car wash supplies. The 'pre-soak' is really nasty on waxes. My friend says some of it is up to 100 times stronger than the regular high pressure soap.

My experience would bear that out.

Mike

I used to run/manage/maintain 4 touchless car washes for an owner. Gizzsdad is pretty close about "pre-soak" comments.

In Scrub-a-dub type rag washes, you get milds soaps and little water usage in exchange for a low cost wash and a contant haze in your paint finish.

Touchless washes rely completely on the "pre-soak" laps, (except for removing bird poop and mud). This soap is very unique, and VERY high pH. Its applied at levels as high as 12-13pH. It is a concentated base, not an acid, none the less it'll remove skin if you leave it in contact over time.

Does it remove wax. Yes. Peel? No. It simply wears it away quicker than if you hand washed.

But this doesnt happen quickly, the pre-soak is on the surface for a minute before be high pressure washed off.

Overtime however, if you use touchless washes often enough, you'll begin to see other parts of your car fade and may be look hazy. Even seals can dry out more quickly.

So, touchless or rag type washes...there's no clear winner. Its a trade off.

The true winner for washing cars is the old hand wash.

I'd always prefered the at-home-hand wash to your local DIY'er car wash, however, when the temps get cold real quick in the winter, sometimes taking it to a DIY'er carwash is more pleasing/faster then sticking your hand in a bucket of water.

However, we had the opportunity this spring to finally put in a watersoftner in the house - made a huge difference on laundry, dishes, water texture and taste. So I figured, what the heck, give it a shot on the trucks - on a HOT sunny day, mind you.

I've NEVER before walked away from my now 10yr old burgundy Rodeo for 2-3 seconds without becoming Speedy Gonzales in trying to dry it before the water spots become real noticeable.

The color that was brought out on my 2 burgundy trucks was amazing! The old Rodeo looked like it had a brand-new paint job.

It was then that it dawned on me, that the old DIY'er carwashes haven't been doing this truck any good - thankfully we've waxed this sucker at least 3 times yearly.

It was obvious as well, that the DIY'er washes leave behind a nasty haze on the paint irregardless if you spend $10-15 or even $20/wash.

Unfortunately, with living in the cold Colorado winters, the DIY'er carwash facilities are more practical then freezing; but, I'll have to think twice about doing it so often next winter versus washing it at home.

Quote:

Wanted to mention, if you have fancy wheels, do NOT use the pre-soak feature at all!

Why's that?

Fact is "pre-soak" works great on wheels, especially chrome wheels. And aluminum wheels are clear coated, just like your car. The high pH break up the brake dust film very well.

It is also on the opisite end of the spectrum compared to wheel cleaners in a bottle. Typically they are on the acidic side, and are far more dangerous to use than any "pre-soak" at the local car wash.

My opinion is that if you value your car's finish and all the hard work you did to seal and wax it, never use any type of car wash. Buck up a little more money and let a detail shop wash it for you. Don't have to do the entire treatment, just a proper wash job with the right stuff.

I use the wand DIY in cold weather. I can't tell that it makes much difference. I always towel dry. I never pre soak. I converted over to Zaino and it still beads after several months. I use the Zaino quick detailer with a towel on the sides of the car that still have road film left by the wand.

I find it funny when people towel dry at a touchless wash place, they are just spreading the dirt deeper into the paint.

A hand wash is the only true thing to get a clean car, touchless is great in the winter but not a replacement come summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back