Not open for further replies.
Alum: 3

Moly: 262

Boron: 3

Sil: 2

Calcium: 48

Phos: 644

Zinc: 718

The main additives in this sample of virgin oil are moly (262 ppm) plus phosphorus and zinc.
The TBN was 1.5, very low for a new oil. 1.0 is hardly any active additive left in an oil and 0.0 is
absolutely no active additive remaining in the oil. We did a TBN test twice to make absolutely sure and
came up with the same result of 1.5. Please note the aluminum and silicon that was also present in
the sample.

... something seems very wrong here.

doesnt assembley lube have massive ZDDP levels?

i know the GM stuff was almost 6000ppm Z and P, and 29000ppm calcium!

Don't confuse oil break-in additives with assembly lube.

The adhesive grease provides lubrication until oil washes it out of the way.
I would think that the additive levels should be higher since the MSDS states 3-10% additive package.
When you figure in the sump size of an engine vs the amount of assembly grease being used, you're not even fortifying the oil. A little moly but other additives are 'SM' level. I guess that EOS or equivalent oil additive is a must in the oil if weak oils are being used for break in.

http://www.torcousa.com/technology/060912120854EAL.pdf
They also have a thicker 'HP' version of this stuff.

Since there are no other assembly lube VOAs, I shouldn't judge overly negatively. They all might be this lame. Also, I've seen engines assembled with bearing grease and vaseline that ran fine for 100k+ miles.

actually those numbers i posted were for GM cam lube, not EOS.

EOS has slightly more ZDDP, but only 5500ppm calcium. the GM cam lube is probably calcium sulfonate base.

the assembly lube i use is black because of how much moly is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back