vehicle reliablity survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The site is interesting; I've never seen it before. Their sample sizes seem kind of small though. Of course consumer reports has similar reports available.

Edmunds.com is another decent site for reviews, but I would take them with a grain of salt, as you have no idea as to how well the cars were taken care of.
Edit: Nevermind, I see you're looking for a new car, not a used one
smile.gif
My bad.

Last edited:
Another consideration when buying a new car is service. If two different brands are about equal and one brand is well supported in your are, say by a good independent shop, it could be a deciding factor.

TrueDelta is my site. The sample sizes are small because I'm just getting started. But the panel is growing by about 10 percent per month, so this won't always be a problem.

I started the research because CR's methods for collecting data and reporting results leave considerable room for improvement. I compare our approaches here:

Consumer Reports critique

To grow the sample as fast as possible, I'm going to be providing full access to all results for free to anyone who helps out by participating, for as long as they participate.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Suggestions are also welcome.

FWIW, this appears to be an amazing site and forum. It's about time someone tried to dig through all the myths surrounding oil and get to the facts.

The owner of subaruoutback.org has agreed to help get the word out.

I'm not familiar with the other forum. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Data collection for the current quarter closes today. Next results in a couple of weeks. A few people from this forum have been helping out. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Next results in August. I did change the format after posting the results in May. Went to "per 100 cars" instead of "per car," because many people suggested this. (Apparently many people don't like to deal with decimals.)

Still not sure this was the best way to go. Opinions?

I signed up quite some time ago. It seems mostly new cars are getting signed up so I don't have much to offer so far since my cars are older. A pretty nice site. It will come in handy next time I go to buy a new car. I like the way mkaresh collects the data, it offers much more than the typical average problems per vehicle you get from most sites.

What I, Coot extraordinaire, would revel in, would be a source informing of the costs of the many possible needed-in-the-future parts to keep a vehicle for the long-term.

Alternator, water pump, head light assemblies, wiper motors, radiator, etc etc etc.

Yes, prices can change over time but it would be nice to be able to compare parts costs among vehicles.

Would assist in a purchasing decision.

I still recall the shocked look back in the late 1980's of the bloke at the wrecking yard seeking a combo part.... if memory is correct the power steering pump and alternator were one assembly with a USED cost of $800.... believe it was $1,400 new.

If the chap knew of that cost before buying the foreign diesel-engined pick-up (may have been an Isuzu) I betcha' he wouldn't have bought it!!!!!

I dont think anyone makes an auto anymore that has a reliability issue. Im a chevy man and always will be but I wouldnt hesitate to buy any car made in the last 3 years if the price was right and its what I needed.I do try to stay american to support my economy.

Hyundai has made significant improvments in recent years. The dark days of the Hyundai Pony are long gone. Hyundai has stated that they want their cars to surpass the Camry and Accord, and building an affordable, trustworthy car is the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back