Does oil Effect smoothness of transmission??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does keepping fresh clean oil keep the trans shifting smoothly, or does oil have nothing to do with it, cause i know the trans uses trans oil itself??

Short answer = NO relation

Long answer = While the tranny has nothing to do with the oil in the engine, the overal condition of the engine can affect how the transmission behaves when it transmits power to the wheels. If your engine is outta whack, you may end up feeling it in the tranny. Some (most) tranmissions use some type of cooler that uses the cars cooling system. If your engine is running hot, thus putting more stress on the cooling system, it may not be able to cool the transmission properly, creating more problems down the road.

In addition in some cars the viscosity of oil used in the engine can have a (very) slight affect on the harshness of the shifts under normal acceleration. While this is not really good or bad, lighter viscosity oils seems to produce the smoothest shifts due to the least amount of resistance produced when the engine RPM's experience a sudden change. This seems to be more noticable in FWD cars, in my experience.

I think for most folks, getting the engine oil changed is generally something they attend to, but getting the tranny flushed is something that is often overlooked. If you want to help your transmission dont change your engine oil change your transmission fluid and filter;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back