JUST changed my oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can clean my engine for cheaper, i'll do it.
I check my oil filters, knife and hammer.(old school)
to make sure these "additives" are doing their job.
Usually I get alot of #@$%!, being a good thing.
If there comes a serious problem then i'll use auto-rx
But i can't spent around 40 bucks unless I have to
But that's just me.

"Now get this, after taking the filter off the regular oil kinda dropped out.. but this oil had CLUMPS of CARBON and SLUDGE as the oil that poured out was horrible!"

I would have started over with a new filter and new oil after seeing that.

Quote:

Good idea
Just for the record.
IMO snake oils are #@$%!.(slick 50)(puregold) (duralube)(tufoil)
BUT some "additives" ARE ok to use, like CD-2 and Rislone.
***JUST MY OPINION***
I'll post my results&pictures of the filter with CD-2
after get the filter removed. And see how well it did

Is this the CD-2 stuff your talking about? I would think the CD-2 Oil Detergent would be just the ticket for a sludgy engine.

Quote:

...BUT some "additives" ARE ok to use, like CD-2...

If you believe that putting spent hydrotreated, and residual solvent dewaxed petroleum oil in your crankcase is a good thing. If you want a lot of detergents and dispersants, use a HDEO. Note that HDEOs aren't going to do any serious cleaning.

The clumps you are seeing are probably from the solvents used in the engine flush. This can lead to oil starvation if enough accumulate on the oil pickup screen. This is why people recommend AutoRX. It's safe since it works slowly and doesn't create clumps.

I think there is a simple answer for this question.

He had an oil jockey change his oil, and use an engine flush. Whatever that may be.

Maybe the engine flush, flushed some stuff out of his engine, into the oil filter.

Ever though of that?

Ok, as to the size difference of the filter. When you take your car to a quick lube place they will use the cheapest filter known to man. It will make you wish they had a fram on there.

Justin
It's a pennzoil filter. That is a fram filter. And yeah, theres a new great canadian oil change up the road, they use big wix filters.
My engine has a bunch of crud in it, and cd2 "dissolves sludge" and cleans ALL internals.
May just be marketing, but I doubt it would make anything worse being that it is a softer cleaner/detergent.. not a quick solvent flush
Anyways browse around here. http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2

They probably installed a Pennzoil PZ9A filter which is the replacement for the original AC filter that came on the car. Larger filters are fine.

Do you know what type of flush they used?

And, is this the same care you reported all the sludge in that I recommended removing the oil pan for cleaning? If so, I still recommend removing the oil pan. Good luck

Hey jhonny, yes actually I removed the pan awile ago
got a bunch of #@$%! out.
And yes, the filter says PZ-9A
as for the engine treatment....
oh lord, on their website they have "slick 50 engine flush"
shocked.gif

Ive seen their pennzoil flushes in stores before.. I thought it was that..

Seems like if you have identified the sludge problem by removing the pan then all of the ways suggested to clean sludge should be used. You seem to be looking for one silver bullet solution. the moptor didn't get that way overnight and won't get better overnight.

I've had good results with frequent changes at 1-2K miles OCI. I've had good results with ARX. I've changed to the biggest filter and I've changed the filter more than once in the OCI. I've pulled the valve covers and the drip pan.
All of those might of cost me $40 total but that car is still running and its alot cleaner than it was before and has better compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back