'06 Duramax..What kind of oil is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought a new Duramax with the LBZ engine. I have talked with a few folks on the phone. A few have recommended Mobile 1 Synthetic Delvac 1 and other have recommended Amsoil. Both people however recommended Amsoil EAO oil filter.

I am new to this forum, so this info may have been already been discussed in previous posts..........
blush.gif

If not, are there any new Dmax folks out there? And if so what are you putting in your engine?
confused.gif

Thanks,

Paul

The Shell Rotella 5w/40 if you can get is the way to go for cold weather. Other than cold weather The Syns are not really of much benefit in wear .Look at the uoa's. For every over the road truck that makes a million miles with syn oil there are 10 times more that do the same thing with petroleum oils

Is it an 06 or 07? Your title and profile contradict each other. The 07 models need a CJ-4 rated oil only, so in that case, you are limited to Amsoil 5W40, and the CJ-4 rated Delo 400LE/Rotella T until further notice.

Paul:

I know there is a web forum out there just made for the duramax owners. Just like this forum.

Ya might look them up. Very helpful forum.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40/Delvac 1 5w-40 is the top choice. Rotella syn 5w-40 isnt a bad choice right behind. Id also give Schaeffer's 9000 5w40 a good thought - if bought in $300 lots (youll likely want to change a number of times on a new diesel engine anyway), it is VERY cost-efficient.

JMH

Quote:

Is it an 06 or 07? Your title and profile contradict each other. The 07 models need a CJ-4 rated oil only, so in that case, you are limited to Amsoil 5W40, and the CJ-4 rated Delo 400LE/Rotella T until further notice.

Incorrecto.

There are 07 "classic" models with the non-07 emissions standards, and 07 new models with 07 compliant emissions. So yes, you can have a 2007 with the old LBZ engine. Same as 2007 5.9L Cummins equipped Dodges and the new 2007 6.7L equipped Dodges with lots of emissions paraphernalia. This issue is not real cut and dried. Apparently it has something to do with build date.

Do a search "Diesel Place" Great site for Duramax owners. I am not going to put a synthetic in my 06 till I have 25,000
miles on it. I am currently using Delo 400 for break in.. I uese Shell Rotella T(dino) in my 99 F250 SD 7.3 I will change to a synthetic at 3000,000. When it is broken in. I have 8,000 to go

If your car have less than 8000 miles, just use Synlube.com. You will then have a warranty that covers oil-related problems for 300000miles. You can also talk to an insurance company and ask what it cost to cover the same. You don't have to change the oil, just the oilfilter at 50000miles.

Quote:

… just use Synlube.com. … You will then have a warranty that covers oil-related problems for 300000miles … You don't have to change the oil, just the oilfilter at 50000miles.

Hmmm … I’m not convinced …
smirk.gif

As for my Duramax I’ll continue to use M1-TDT or Delo-400 and change filters at each OCI. When mine was new I did three 1kmi Oil Changes with Delo-400 to “flush” any residual manufacturing debris then switched to Synthetic. I also skipped the filter on the second iteration of the flush. Results have been good so far .. click on UOA in my signature …

Also, here’s some good info on Synthetic oil Myths.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back