Dump truck hyd. oil recommendation please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three ten wheel dump trucks with 15 yard boxes and 4 stage hydraulic rams for lifting. Can someone recommend a proper fluid for the hydraulics. Pump is PTO driven if it matters. The equipment manufacturer (OX) is very non specific about the fluid and just says "it's regular hydraulic oil" and won't specify beyond that.

Most dump trucks I have worked on over the years use ISO 32 / SAE 10 viscosity hydraulic oil.

Since dump trucks displace a lot of oil when the cylinder is at full extension I suggest using a hydraulic oil that has good demulsibility properties. Since a lot of air will be entering and leaving the sump tank condensation can be a problem. Oil with a excellent demulsibility ASTM D-1401 rating helps to drop the water out of suspension so it can be drained from the bottom of the tank. I use Texas Refinery Corp.'s hydraulic oil in my two dump trucks and with UOA's now have over 4,500 hours on the one trucks hydraulic oil.

Also, don't forget to change your hydraulic filter from time to time. It's often forgotten.

Use any AW (anti wear) type Iso vis grade 32 or 46.
Any brand will do no need for a high dollar oil should pay no more than about $4.50 gallon or about $250 per drum.
bruce

Wrehch, none of these three have filters. Ox bodies doesn't install them on their dump bodies. Have you seen the Donaldson breather caps for hydraulic tanks that are supposed to be a moisture trap? Are they worth it?

Bruce, thanks AW, but why not AW and R&O. Since I am in So. Cal I probably will go with the 46.

AW oils have the R+O included in the additives system.
You could call them AW R+O.
A AW oil is like a R+O (rust and oxidation) with the AW added and AW oils are much more common to find.
bruce

OK, so an AW is more advanced than an R&O oil because it starts as an R&O and additional additives make it an AW. I see Pep Boys is now carrying AW in 5 gallon buckets branded Mag 1 (I think). It was made by warren performance. It seemed reasonably priced. Not sure what ISO# I'll have to check. Thank you for the information.

Quote:

Wrehch, none of these three have filters. Ox bodies doesn't install them on their dump bodies. Have you seen the Donaldson breather caps for hydraulic tanks that are supposed to be a moisture trap? Are they worth it?

Yes I have seen the Donaldson breather caps and there are other manufacturers that make water vapor removing caps and breathers. They do work and they are a good investment.

How are these things used? Are they used every single day? Maybe take a look at some synthetic AW Hydraulic oils. They would save on downtime, drain interval, and mechanical effeciency.

There was a great article in lubes and greases about the new MEHF hydraulic lubes.

Call me if you want a quote.
check out this site:

http://www.mehf.com/

We have a lot of equipment at work that uses hydraulic fluid. The vast majority of the stuff I us AW46 oil in, non brand specific. I haven't seen a major benefit from synthetic hydraulic oils in most cases. Some of our stuff that operates in very cold weather, 25*F and lower consistently, I've run syn oil in. Also if the equipment runs very hot, such as one truck that has a badly designed valve body gets synthetic because it stands up to the EXTREMELY high sump temps. I can't justify the cost of synthetic hydraulic oil most times.

I put desiccant breather caps on all our Dumps, loaders, dozers, excavators and backhoe's. It's really made a big difference as all of those pieces of equipment live in VERY wet environments.

I'd also recommend installing a return side filter on those trucks. It's easy to do and would really help the spools and packings live a happier, longer life.

That article in Lubes'N Greases was a good read. The hydraulic systems on dump trucks and similar equipment just aren't high performance enough to justify spending the money on a better fluid. I run some pretty fancy oils in some of our newer equipment with load sensing hydraulic systems. There are a lot of new technologies emerging in the hydraulic field. Contrary to common belief this stuff isn't the same hydraulic technology your Grandpa used. Except for stuff like dumps and man lifts, simple and dumb.

Precision manufacturing machines and facility machinery will greatly benefit from some of these new hydraulic oils. Most mobile equipment, like dump trucks, are really just too simple and don't require or greatly benefit from these new oils. It's kinda like running a custom blended, 50.00/QT, PAO/Ester oil in a Chevette. Will it improve the Chevette? To some degree, but is it really worth the price for the benefit, probably not.

It certainly is good to look into MEHF fluids and find out what there all about. Then a guy can decide if they are a good fit to your particular situation and usage.

I would say that 90% of the dump trucks don't even have return line filters just strainers
crazy.gif
in the tank. most dump systems run a single line to the trailer just to operate the lift cylinder.

Power up and then reverse flow at the pump to power down. Just a feed line from the tank and service line out to the ram. these are VERY low duty cycle applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back