Tacoma 90W

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to change the diff fluid in my 2006 Tacoma (7,500miles). The owners manual calls for a straight 90w oil. AMS, Redline, etc... recommend their 75w90 as a replacement. Is there anyone out there that would not recommend that as a replacement weight? Does anyone know of any synthetic gear lubes that are 90w?

At this time I do not tow and I don't see temps much below freezing in the winter (NY area).

Thanks,

Amsoil 75W-90 is a "90" @100°C. And I am 100% sure Toyota would be fine with an oil that flows as well at cold temps as do 75W-90 synthetic.
Here's the Amsoil 75W-90

welcome.gif
Eventually will have a nice FAQ that explains multi vis lubes
smile.gif
For now click around and learn
cool.gif

You're on the right track. I have a 2004 Tacoma and used Mobil 1 75w90 in my diff. Do you have a TRD package? If you have the TRD Sport, you may have to use different fluid due to the Limited Slip. If you have the TRD Off-Road (Locker) or just an open diff, (neither packages) I think Mobil 1 would suit you well.

Oh yeah for you and others it's Amsoil. One word. Not sure where people get the AMS thing.

Don't let the 75W-XXX scare you. It's just describing how the oil flows when cold. Same with motor oil. People somehow think the oil will be thinner at operating temps. Which is simply not the case.

I changed the differential fluid on my 2006 highlander to Amsoil 80W90 yesterday. The factory fill at 6.5K miles are black and there was noticable metal paste that came off the drain plug.

My next challenge in the x-case, I want to get that done soon too.

I debated between 75W90 and 80W90 and finally chose 80W90 becoz I am a novice with gear fluids.

I'm not sure what your owners manual specifies, but my manual is very specific about what to use in a 2000 Toyota Tundra...75W90 GL 5 for the front and tranfer case, and SAE 90 GL5 for the rear. 80W90 should be used if temps drop below 0degF. Why are they so specific? I don't know exactly, but the Toyota owners manual is probably the best written of any manufacturer I've ever seen. The philosophy behind it reminds of a NAVAIR NATOPS manual in many respects.
Although Amsoil severe gear 75W90 would probably be an excellent choice for the front and transfer case, I have never seen a UOA to confirm how well it works. I have seen a UOA of Mobil 1 75W90 GL5 that show excellent wear results in another application, but falls far short of a 90W at higher temps (210F). Redline 75W90 GL5 viscosity also falls even further short at high temps of a SAE 90 wt. That being said, since you live in NY, why not look for a 80W90 GL5 for better protection in the rear diff? I would look seriously at Schaeffer's or Amsoil for that. In Texas, I use LE 607 in the rear diff for my Tundra and S2000, but it is a SAE 90. Here's a link to where I get it:

Admin Note: Please do not link to a non-paying sponsor website. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some misinformation within this thread that could easily lead to confusion.

1) There is no such gear oil called "90W". Toyota is specifying SAE 90.
2) Comments that Redline (or other synthetic) 75W-90 fall short of a SAE 90, are incorrect. Both oils must meet the SAE J306 range to be called SAE 90 OR 75W-90:

Gear Oil viscosity chart J306

If you are worried that a 90 might be too thin, check out Amsoil 75W-110

Quote:

There is some misinformation within this thread that could easily lead to confusion.

1) There is no such gear oil called "90W". Toyota is specifying SAE 90.
2) Comments that Redline (or other synthetic) 75W-90 fall short of a SAE 90, are incorrect. Both oils must meet the SAE J306 range to be called SAE 90 OR 75W-90:

Gear Oil viscosity chart J306

If you are worried that a 90 might be too thin, check out Amsoil 75W-110

Sorry for any misinformation I may have included in my post Pablo. Toyota does specify SAE 90 for the rear diff. 75W90 gear oil doesn't come close to the viscosity of an SAE 90 gear oil. That's what I meant to say, based on UOA's that I've seen. I wasn't able to open your viscosity link. Is the 75W110 Amsoil the SAE 90 equivalent for viscosity? Maybe that's worth a try. Are there any UOA's on it yet?

I am following this thread with interest, as the specifications for my 2006 Tundra 4WD are the same. Transfer case=75W-90, Limited Slip Diff=SAE90 above 0 degrees F., SAE 80 below 0 degrees F.

I understand that a lube rated 75W-90 is an SAE 90 at 210 degrees. But the question is, why would Toyota go ahead and recommend a 75W-90 for the transfer case, and not for the Limited Slip Differential? If Toyota feels they are truly equivalent, why would they bother recommending different a straight weight for the Diff?

Steve S -

The transmission in the 2006 Tundra calls for Toyota type WS. To my knowledge, there is no synthetic or any other 3rd party ATF out there that claims to meet this spec....I know Amsoil claims they meet Toyota Type IV, but not WS....

Noone knows why technical writers do what they do when spec'ing a fluid.
Maybe the different OEM weights have the LSD additive already or don't have it.
Maybe some engineer or supplier is stuck in the middle ages concerning fluid recommendations.

Feel free to use any 70w90, 75w90, or 80w90 with a SAE90 diff. And, depending on weather conditions, a SAE90 should work well inplace of the 75w90 or 80w90.

SAE90's can be any weight in that SAE range. Just because one is thicker, doesn't mean they all are.

If you work a truck or if the vehicle is OEM underengineered, then feel free to go thicker or blend in a ratio that is thicker. This is were the 110wt and 140wt come in handy.

Motul, Silkolene, and Royalpurple also have SAE90's if that gives you peace of mind.

As sharp as Toyota is, and how great they know where that reliability edge is, they still are simply not all that when it comes to lubes. If their intent is to get a more viscous lube in by calling out SAE 90, rather than a 75W-90, then they plainly do not understand the viscosity specification.

I think the table needs macromedia or something. Works fine in Firefox. Here one: Same basic one, tranlated from Russian

second change of schaeffer 80w90 in my 06 tacoma with a LS diff had a slight chatter used 1oz MC FM work great.. and easy to find the FM was schaeffer tec recomandation to quiet things down. using amsoil 75w90 in front dif and SF 75w90 in trnsfer case.

Quote:

second change of schaeffer 80w90 in my 06 tacoma with a LS diff had a slight chatter used 1oz MC FM work great.. and easy to find the FM was schaeffer tec recomandation to quiet things down. using amsoil 75w90 in front dif and SF 75w90 in trnsfer case.

That sounds like a great set-up for Wisconsin. I looked around for Schaeffer's 80W90 locally and decided I didn't want to buy a 5 gal barrel. I went with LE 607 SAE 90 instead. I don't have LSD, thankfully.

The Lubes marketed as SAE 90 do tend to have a higher Cst at operating temperature than the 75w-90. But they are both inside 90W band. It's not a big difference. If however Toyota was trying to get a higher Cst (maybe a Virgin oil anaylsis on factory fill could tell you) in the old SAE 90 scale then the 75w-110 might be ideal.

I sent Toyota a very detailed letter regarding the fact that the definition of the SAE values for gear oil had changed and would they be changing their gear oil recommendations?

They sent me a canned response about using SJ engine oil in my engine.

FWIW, Blackstone says a 75W90 gear oil should fall into the 67-80 SUS@210F range. RL 75W90 tests at 83.7. SAE 90 gear oil should fall into the 85-105 range. LE 607 SAE 90 tests at 93.4. It may be possible that Toyota wanted the owners of their 4X4 trucks to take advantage of the higher temp protection of SAE 90 in the rear diffs, but wasn't as important for the front diff and transfer case where use would be sporadic and situationally dictated. Thus, a lighter weight gear oil would lubricate quicker and not have to worry about the higher temps found in the rear diff.
I think the extreme pressure additives have to be considered also. I think all manufacturers have their own proprietary additives. So depending on your needs, you might want to consider this factor as well.
I'm hoping that Amsoil 75W110 tests well. Hopefully, it will be the new gold standard for rear diffs!

I am running Amsoil 75w90 EP in the front diff, transfer case and rear diff in my 03 Taco 4x4 TRD (rear locker). Works real well, ran it for 60K in my 01 Taco with lots of Towing in Texas heat.

I prefer not to revive old threads, but what is the general consensus for the question posted here? My dad has got a 2007 Tacoma with the 4-cylinder and 2WD. It also calls for SAE 90 in the rear differential. So what would be the best Amsoil product, the 80W-90 or 75W-90? Will those be thick enough at operating temperature? I'm assuming they will be. Oh, and by the way I will be changing it out at 15k or so. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back