Amsoil 0W30/ 2,579Mi / Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone goofed (or I did on the oil slip) - it is not 5W20. It is series 2000 0W30. This was a 6 month interval. I will do a Terrynalysis at 1 year. Using K&N filter. This vehicle has very short trips (5 miles 4 times a day).

134638718-L.jpg

For posterity, here are some pictures of my oil cap with this oil and the resulting coolant leak discussion:

Name this crud

Obviously it turned out not to be the case, but I wanted to tie in the story in case anyone else observes the same thing and is afraid of a coolant leak. In my case it looks like just condensation on the cap and nothing more.

rockon5nk.gif

Do not worry about it! It is a combanation of short trip driveing and a tall alluminum fill tube. It is simply condensation mixing with light aromatic hydro carbons. It then seeks the higher point wear it cools.

Very nice UOA. What year is your Tundra? Did you drain the oil, or just sample it? The SUS indicates a lighter 30 wt. Is that what you were looking for?

Laminar Lou,
You mentioned in the other thread that you were using LC20 with the 0w-30, so does that apply to this UOA?

I think that may be the reason for the lower viscosity.

It seems that you should use up the Amsoil. There is really no advantage using syn oil if you are changing it so often. Amsoil doesn't need additives. The fuel dilution is low and the tbn is still good. Seems this Amsoil will go the year for you. I am not even an Amsoil groupie. I do not believe I really posted this.

Do not push any oil in this engine for a 12 month interval. It has been my experince that the 4.7 V8 like 6-9 month oil change interval reguardless of the miles. It could be 2000 miles in 6 months or 18,000 in 6 months with say AMsoil or M1 and it would look ok. On the other hand those 12 month and 14 month OCI UOA reports tht are on this site look awful! In most cases they had fewer miles then all of the rest of the reports. I do agree though that you really do not need an expensive synthetic in this engine with your usage and OCI! I bet Rotell-t 5W40 or TropArtic blend 5W30 or anyof the cheaper synthetics or blends would work just great. No sense spending more then youhave to! On the other hand if money is not a concern at this point feed that truck the best oil you can find!!!

Given this low level of driving, you should be able to run the Series 2000 for 18-24 months. I'd also leave the same EAO filter in place since it should be almost clean inside.

The MSDS from 10/16/06 shows the baseline viscosity of the Series 2000, 0w-30 is now 10.4 Cst @ 100C. So the viscosity of this used oil is essentially unchanged, given the normal amount of fuel dilution you'd see under short trip driving conditions.

Ted

Quote:

Laminar Lou,
You mentioned in the other thread that you were using LC20 with the 0w-30, so does that apply to this UOA?

I think that may be the reason for the lower viscosity.

Yes, I neglected to mention:

6oz LC20 at fill, 4oz additional over the sample period. Although the viscosity is apparently okay according to TW.

Quote:

Given this low level of driving, you should be able to run the Series 2000 for 18-24 months. I'd also leave the same EAO filter in place since it should be almost clean inside.

The MSDS from 10/16/06 shows the baseline viscosity of the Series 2000, 0w-30 is now 10.4 Cst @ 100C. So the viscosity of this used oil is essentially unchanged, given the normal amount of fuel dilution you'd see under short trip driving conditions.

Ted

Thanks for the verification on the viscosity. I will definitely give the oil 12 months, we will see what it looks like at the stage and take it from there. I've got a K&N oil filter on there right now (not the EAO). I think I still have one K&N left and will use it, but then I am switching to the EAO.

Then maybe the 0W20?!? I dunno yet, still thinking about it.

Google is a wonderful thing...

I found a TSB from Toyota stating that 5W20 is recommended for modern engines for MY 2006 on. However, it does list my truck engine in the group.

Toyota TSB

So, unless they made changes to the oiling system you would think that this TSB would apply to my MY2002 2UZFE motor correct?

Quote:

Google is a wonderful thing...

I found a TSB from Toyota stating that 5W20 is recommended for modern engines for MY 2006 on. However, it does list my truck engine in the group.

Toyota TSB

So, unless they made changes to the oiling system you would think that this TSB would apply to my MY2002 2UZFE motor correct?

I'm kinda curious about that myself.. I know the VVTi motors run lower oil pressures than the older one's but the TSB says UZ series and doesn't differentiate between the two.

OT: I also noticed it says 1ZZxxx, which I have in my Corolla, but it's a 99. In a TSB, would the reccomendations be retroactive to ALL the engines is that series regardless of MY, or just from the date of the TSB forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back