newbie needs help with GC question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used (19k Miles) 02' celica 2 years ago and have been using 2qts. Mobile 1 5w-30 synthetic mixed with 1.9qts mobile 1 5w-30 regular oil at 3000 mile intervals. I have been very faithful with this regiment, however, after reading the GC forum for about 2 days now, I was wondering if I should switch. I purchased a QT of 0w-30 GC at autozone and it is a pretty green and wondered if it would damage my engine to switch. I have no idea what oil was used before I bought the toyota, and have been using the "blend" for the last two years. I have heard horror stories about "switching" and then suddenly the engine will burn oil....etc. I only drive about 3000 miles about every 4 months, so the added expence isn't a big deal for the GC......Any thoughts or suggestions from everyone would be appreciated!!
Thank You!!!

those horror stories are mythical at best with modern engines and oils. my car has 152000 miles on it running full synthetic, no burning or leaking.

GC is thicker than M1 so you would actually have less chance of burning oil by switching.

Thanks for the replies, I have always heard that once you switch from conventional oil to synthetic you have to stay one way or the other. you cant go back and forth. I have been using the blend for about two years and just don't want to do any damage to anything..

Quote:

GC, a synthetic, will mix just fine with conventional oils like Mobil 1.

Mobil1 conventional ?
smile.gif

Can I mix GC with addictive oils that are not synthetic, (like SLOB, CD2) And what can i expect from the outcome. I have a WRX EJ20 Turbo Engine. I dont want to degrade or reduce the protection of the GC

Quote:

Can I mix GC with addictive oils that are not synthetic, (like SLOB, CD2) And what can i expect from the outcome.

Yes you can, but honestly GC is a great oil all by itself. I'd run it as-is and see how your WRX responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back