Delvac1 5W40: mystery of the disappearing P & Zn

Status
Not open for further replies.
From earlier VOAs and UOAs, I thought Delvac1 has more Phosphorous and Zinc. Here's the result of a VOA from last Fall I never posted. Also included photos of the bottle. Is this different Delvac1?

blackstone_voa_delvac1.gif

delvac1front.jpg

delvac1back.jpg

Stinky Peterson's test of December 2004 showed over 1200ppm of Zinc, 1070ppm of Phos, 2145 Ca, and 444Mg

Weak!
Switch to Synthetic Shell rotella T.
They still have the SJ,SL rating. Good for about 1100ppm of what you want/need.
Or get some GM E.O.S. assy lube, the bottle says not to use it as an addtive but plenty of people around here are.
It is an 16oz bottle with over 6500ppm of the good stuff.

Did you get a TBN?

From what I read a while back, Delvac 1 was going to be re-formulated with a lower TBN and lower levels of additives. This was for compliance with modern engine requirements.

The thought was that it would provide excellent levels of performance for less miles. So, extended drains must be tracked via analysis as the TBN would be lower throughout the oil's life.

By the way, I am disappointed as this oil used to be spectacular for motorcycle use. I suspect it will now be marginal. Probably a group III too.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:

would have to be under 1000 to meet SL specs as per the bottle.

No it would not because it's a 5W-40 oil. Read the API SL requirements if you don't believe me...and I don't expect you to just take my word for it.
smile.gif
BTW, Rotella-T 5W-40 also meets API SL.

I don't trust this VOA. I'm not blaming the poster of it but until two tests show the same thing, I think something got fumbled somewhere along the line.

Quote:

RallyJon; I know this is
offtopic.gif
, but are you a member of the Blue Mountain Region of the SCCA (or do you only do the PCA stuff)??

Yep, that's me. But no more firesuits and helmets until my little boy is older.

Quote:

Was the T&SUV version SL?

Yes it was. I checked the PDS for that oil that I saved a while back. Many diesel oils have met API SL for years. The additive levels are not bound tightly by that spec due to the viscosity grade.

Quote:

I'd like to believe this VOA was an anomaly, but with all the "green" reformulating going on, you never know what you get one month to the next.

To make an additive change this big would require recertification which would cost a lot of money for no gain. Getting API CJ-4 approval (the "Green Spec") would give them a gain but it obviously isn't certified for that. I'm sure a CJ-4 version is on the way but it will be labeled as such.

With a TBN of 13, it is unlikely that this is reformulated Delvac 1. Maybe the oil is just an iffy batch OR the VOA is iffy?

Mobil did claim that there was going to be a new version of D1, with lower TBN.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back