What chaincase oil to use in my Snowmobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a used 20 yr old Ski-Doo, and was wondering what chaincase oil should I use to top off? Would it be the same as motorcycle oil? Is there a syn oil for this? thanks
confused.gif

Seen anything from atf to motor oil to 90w gear oil run in them with success. Even the oil companys and oil blenders don't really see to have any consistency IMO. Used several "chaincase oils" from different companys, they have ranged from water thin (amsoil), to gear oil thick (yamaha), and everywhere in between. Some of the OEM oil (like skidoo) seem to use some sort of solids that are visable, moly or graphite, or something? in the oil. I suspect for some insurance that the chain has some lube on it if the inner seal leaks and you lose your fluid. Other fluids don't seem to have this. If you start looking a spec sheets for the different fluids you find no consensus in viscosity, many thick many thin, many seem to match another product in the companys line. So what I'm trying to say is even the specialty blenders don't seem to agree what "chaincase oil" is supposed to be. In my sled I usually use some outboard lower case gear oil, but this season I have some 15w40 delo in it (must have been the closest bottle on the shelf, LOL). IMO, for a 20 y-old scud, the lower seal may prefer something on thick end, like some gear lube like some 75w90. It's just a chain.

Ski-Doo makes a sythetic in a 8 oz bottle but its spendy. I usually stock up on a quart of Polaris synthetic and pit it in all brands, will do 4 sled 8oz. each. Lots of people use dextron ATF and change it yearly, makes the seals swell and is nice and thin at low temps less friction. It's only a chain most important thing is to keep it tensioned right, check it a few times a season.

Redline makes a synthetic gear oil called MTL which works very well in motorcycle chaincase applications and is GL4 rated. Very good in cold weather as it has a pour point like 5w30 motor oil. If you go to the redline website you can put in an application request and they will tell you if it is recommended.

The amsoil 75w90 will work but too thick when cold and will cause the clutch in my motorcycle to drag. The redline MTL pours almost like atf.

come on guys, its 20 year old sled? doesn't need expen$sive am$oil $synthetic. It's just a chain and two sprockets like a timing a chain on a car, anything will lube it.

I use a Shell Advance specific chaincase oil but I like my sled and it doesn't get used NEAR enough. I expect that for this particular question, any good ATF would probably do well.

John.

M1 gear oil is fine. I use Amsoil Chaincase oil now because I get it for free. ATF was used 35 years ago as a performance upgrade over the dino gear oil used by the oem's. No need now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back