Dropped some gunk into my transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you saw my thread in Auto/Lube General topics, I am currently doing some transmission repair on the Saturn. While scraping off the old, "glued" gasket, some remains may have dropped inside the transmission.

The current fluid has 4k miles on it, SuperTech Dexron III(H). The filter is an OE spin-on, also with 4k miles on it.

I'll be reassembling everything tomorrow. Should I just do a drain and refill then, and then do another fluid and filter change next week? Or should I just wait until Monday to buy the fluid and filter and do it all in one shot?

Quote:

I agree. Flush with ST maybe twice. Then refill with new filter. You may be able to dodge the bullet.

Transmission guy said I should be fine since there's a huge screen before the oil pump that will pick-up such pieces. I did a 4 qt drain and refill with ST yesterday when I reassembled the unit. It removed just over 50%. I'm headed to the dealer sometime this week to pick-up a new spin-on filter and 5 qt of Dexron VI. Together, it should bring my percentage of new fluid to over 85%, good enough?

Oh, any gunk that fell was probably no more than 1.5mm in width or length. Just a hair...few grains at most. It was paper/rubber material from the gasket.

I sucked out as much as I could with a shop vacuum and clean the area very well...I only removed 98% of the gasket material...there were a few 1mm wide pieces (maybe 5mm in length) that I couldn't get off.

I used some 3M spray on adhesive (for paper and other stuff) and lined it up before torquing down the cover, hope that'll be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back