MB 229.1
BMW LL-98
VW 502.00 505.00
Porsche
---------------------

wow look at all that boron!!
i would estimate TBN to be about 10

would anyone have a HTHS for this oil?

Previous VOAs and UOAs never showed boron levels nearly that high. Do you think it's lab error or a reformulation? Oh wait, just saw the magnesium level has dropped. Definately seems to be a reformulation and it looks like a change for the better on paper.

Quote:

they dont use moly in their main oils as the moly compounds tend to cause damage to diesel engines.

If I recall correctly Delo 400 has approx 200 ppm of moly and Delvac has about 100 ppm. Rotella has 0. Delo appears to be highly regarded by many. Do you have any further information on how moly may cause damage to a diesel engine? I am curious because I use Delo.

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

the organic molybdenum compounds corrode copper containing alloys such as brass, which is used in the higher strength bearings of diesel engines, and also a few other parts.

the boron amide ester + ZDDP + some other non solid antiwear compounds that dont show up in a spectro scan (2,5-dimercapto-1,3,4-thiadiazole, alkylpolycarboxylates, antimony compounds) currently provide antiwear/antioxidant/extreme pressere performance that exceeds any organomolybdenum compounds, and causes no corrosion.

if you look at UOAs of diesel engines that have high moly oils, you will see more copper. moly is rather cheap in comparison to a targeted blend of the listed high performance chemicals.

BillionPa, thanks for the additional info re: moly. I do not know oil chemistry too well but I have learned that there are multiple types of anti-wear additives as you have described. It is interesting that some well respected oils contain little or no moly such as Syntec, Delvac 1, and Rotella Synthetic. It seems that most of the oils high in Moly are Dinos for gas engines such as Chevron Supreme, Havoline, etc... (which many seem to respect as well, I do too). Thanks again.

moly compounds are awesome. good corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants, friction modifiers, anti-wear components, etc. the moly in the oil may not be used specifically as a friction modifier, but rather an antioxidant.

dino oils and G3 synthetics are more likely to use moly as a friction modifier to meet GF-4 fuel enconomy specs.

most modern gas engines contain significantly less lead and copper compounds, so moly isnt that much of a problem. if there is moly, you are likely to see lead and corrosion inhibitors. most of those are NOT very good lubricants.

the exception seems to be 2,5-dimercapto-1,3,4-thiadiazole, which was designed as a lead corrosion inhibitor, but combined with the new boron ester friction modifiers is a better FM/AW/EP chemistry than the moly ones... albiet at a higher expense.

oils without moly that meet GF-4 specs are either very thin oils, like 0W20, or contain superior additive chemistry, such as boron esters, or antimony dialkylphosphorodithioate.

i would be EXTREMELY interested if someone could tell me how much antimony is in GC.

probably higher concentration of corrosion inhibitors like 1-(di-(2-ethylhexyl)aminomethyl)1,2,4-triazole and other multifunction copper and lead corrosion inhibitors like Antimony DDTC.

could also be the new surfurized organomoly compounds which dont seem to attack copper alloys.

Schaeffer's 9000 is one of the best there is, formulated with many engine types in mind, so they dosed it correctly to combat the moly corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back