Best Sythetic for 7.3 PSD Downunder T444E Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold temps are NOT an issue for us, ever, - we live by the sea & the temps NEVER get to freezing, I'm 47 and never seen snow in my life!

HOT temps are our issue, heatwave summer conditions of ambient shade temp 104f (40c) for a week at a time!

I want to haul my boat 7500#'s long distances in the heat, of summer....I have oilguard bypass filtration already.
I also get UOA samples done and have my last results available.

What would be the best synthetic engine oil for me to use bearing in mind we don't get a lot of brand choices here?

Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Castrol, BP,

These seem to be SAE 5-W-40 type oils....where we don't really need low base 5 oils with polymer modifiers...because we don't have low temp operating problems here.

I'd prefer something synthetic around 15-W-50 or so....that I can buy bulk in a 200 litre (55 US gallon/ 44 Imperial Gallon) drum!

Any suggestions? It's 3.27 am and I've been googling and reading about oil all night, and I'm more confused than when I started!

I'd like to get this sorted once and for all and just stick with one good oil for this 'new to me' truck. It's a 2004 model starboard helmed 7.3 (yes we still get em downunder up to 2006 - thankfully NOT the 6 litres models)!

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Most synthetic diesel oils will be a 5w40, with a few exceptions. Mobil Delvac 1 is good oil, Rotella 5w40 is another good oil for a decent price. The Rotella is a GPIII base oil as far as I know. I'm not sure what shipping would cost, but Schaeffers has some good oils.

I haven't used Syn Castrol diesel oil so I don't know how well it works. Do you have any RedLine dealers? It's expensive but it's good stuff. Also, several people have spoken highly of Royal Purple LongRider 15w40. If you can get RP that maybe something to consider.

Quote:

I would definitely go with Redline 15W40

Are you serious?
This from their Aussie web site might convince you otherwise! A 5 US gallon pail - enough for ONE oil change!

Quote:

RL114-20 15W40 Diesel Engine Oil 5G-Pail 18.92L each $554.00

Yikes - that makes the 55 US gallon drum I want = $6094.00 (US$4754.00)... surely you guys don't pay US$86 a gallon for redline diesel engine oil? 5 Gallons per oil change = US$430.00 per change?
Imagine your analysis comes back saying "elevated Fe levels - flush and retest @ 50% recommended interval..."

Yeah sure - flush $430 worth of oil after only 1500 miles!
Stone the crows - whats in this oil?.....Gold?
stooges.gif

Lets get real - I want synthetic oil - but I'm not looking to buy the company!
smirk.gif
I think Redline might have some serious pencil sharpening to do before they ever see any of my coin...

Still looking, but thanks anyway, I'm sure its a good oil and much cheaper for you guys sounds like they must air freight it here or something!

Cheers

Quote:

Cold temps are NOT an issue for us, ever, - we live by the sea & the temps NEVER get to freezing, I'm 47 and never seen snow in my life!

HOT temps are our issue, heatwave summer conditions of ambient shade temp 104f (40c) for a week at a time!

I want to haul my boat 7500#'s long distances in the heat, of summer....I have oilguard bypass filtration already.
I also get UOA samples done and have my last results available.

What would be the best synthetic engine oil for me to use bearing in mind we don't get a lot of brand choices here?

Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Castrol, BP,

These seem to be SAE 5-W-40 type oils....where we don't really need low base 5 oils with polymer modifiers...because we don't have low temp operating problems here.

I'd prefer something synthetic around 15-W-50 or so....that I can buy bulk in a 200 litre (55 US gallon/ 44 Imperial Gallon) drum!

Any suggestions? It's 3.27 am and I've been googling and reading about oil all night, and I'm more confused than when I started!

I'd like to get this sorted once and for all and just stick with one good oil for this 'new to me' truck. It's a 2004 model starboard helmed 7.3 (yes we still get em downunder up to 2006 - thankfully NOT the 6 litres models)!

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Shell Rotella 15W-40 claims a new additive formulation and a 50% reduction in wear.

I'd look at any name brand diesel oil in your market....and 15W-40 should be good enough.

I would say any good 15W40 would work fine but if you want a synthetic the Rotella will work fine. I have a 2000 Powerstroke that has hauled some very heavy loads, 25,000 lbs. for over 700 miles, (yes, slightly overloaded) in that kind of temps and never had a problem with the oil.

Flywest how it going? I recognize you from FTE but anyway. I know alot of the guys over there (FTE) run the Rotella synthetic 5w40 year round in the hot temps. I just switch over last week to the synthetic. Main reason was cold weather properties for michigan and planning to go bypass soon for long oil changes. Since you just installed you oil guard not too long ago I am guessing you are looking for longer oil changes also.

Here in the states Rotella is the best bargain. $16 US for a US gallon at wallyworld about the same from my oil supplier. 15w40 dino is also a good oil that you could run longer with UOA and not spend a fortune on it when you have to drain.

I prefer rotella 5w-40 for my 1997 7.3 PSD but since buying 14 qts of synthetic would have my cloths thrown in the yard, I'm using cheap 15w-40. Delo seems to be what my truck likes best of oils I've run.

Hi TJ!

Yeah I joined up for 3 years support/sponsorship at FTE costing a small fortune, and a week later, got 'banned' because the admin didn't like my politics, talk about a theif!
smirk.gif

I'll take a look at the Shell Rotella synthetic diesel oil and see what it sells for down here!

I don't mind sticking with the shorter oil change periods - the oil guard bypass filter was really for cleaner oil/ longer engine life, than longer oil change intervals!

If the synthetic will help, and I can afford it - then I'll use that too!

What worries me with the synthetic is this!

5W

Yup - the base oil - even tho it is synthetic and has homogenous molecules size is STILL only a base 5 viscosity oil! The only thing that makes it perform like a 40 viscosity oil at temp is the polymers that are added!

Now polymers may well be good n fine - but how do I know that the oil Guard micron filter won't take some or all of them out? - thus leaving me running an engine in hot weather on base 5 viscosity engine oil - when the manufacturer specifes a minimum 10 W 40 or something?

I really don't liek th eidea of running an engine on base 5 viscosity oil, in a hot temp environment like ours - theres never any need for cviscosity as low as 5 here...

If they made a 10 W 50 Synthetic I'd be happier using it!
Thats just my thoughts tho!

Cheers!

Shann!

They tossed you!!!???? you gotta be kidding me!! well if you would like another deisel board to be part You can go to thedieselstop.com. I am a member there also and they are little less anal about that kind of stuff. I would ask for you money back from FTE. I can't believe they banned you!

I believe that Schaeffer makes a 10 or 15w50 diesel oil, but the shipping would probably kill that deal. If it is full synthetic (GPIV+) then I would look at the viscosity index as well. Many real synthetic oils have a fairly high viscosity index but still flow well at cold temps, hence the 5w rating.

Also remember that the w is measured using a special test and a 5w is not the same thing as the SAE 5 weight oil. (For Example) The 5w is more like a SAE 30wt at op temp.

I'd consider the Castrol 5w-30 "Elixion" synthetic HDEO, which is basically a knockoff of the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30.

The main reason I'm recommending an SAE 5w-30 synthetic is the 2%-4% fuel savings, compared to running a petroleum based 15w-40. In addition my experience with the Series 3000 in this particular application is that it is MUCH more shear stable than an average quality 15w-40 . This is mainly due to the HEUI injectors, which shear conventional oils like crazy in the PSD's....

TD

OK..
I went in today to a big distributor of oils and other auto products! (REPCO). Guy seemed almost intelligent in terms of his knowlege of oil, then I found out they had just had a 'training visit' from the female Penrite rep & he was just regurgitating whatever the rep had told him.

Long story short - he suggested something called Penrite Sin 15 W 70, because it was a base 15 SAE weight oil as recommended by the manufacturer for our conditions but also because it claims to be "sheer proof" (and oil shearing is known to be a possible problem in HEUI 7.3 PDD engines (Navistar International T444E) and because it's a synthetic.

So, I figure I'll check out Penrtites website!

Well talk about confusing - I am beginning to think all oil companys are just snake oil salesmen!

If you go thru their vehicle, model, make, system online you get this recommendation for the F250 Ford 7.3 PSD:-
http://www.penritedata.com/au/db/vehicle...;x=278&y=15
which if you read more info leads to this:-
http://www.penrite.com.au/html/s02_artic...=55&dsb=585
Yes it's a 15 W 50 semi synthetic blend!

Next I searched their website under Trucking - Navistar International T444E DT & got this link / recommendation:-
http://www.ew2.lubesinfo.com/frameset.asp?sid=205&bid=79&sc=1205&langid=16
And of you realy get down to the nitty gritty you get this info about the product:-
http://www.penrite.com.au/files/JHEX6VMA8E/HPR DIESEL 15.pdf
USA weight 15 oil...or 15 W 40 for our conditions, one assumes a dino juice!

Then I looked at their sinthetic "Sin" range of oils which are supposedly "shear proof" which the salesman recommended for my truck, t6o see if it indeed was a diesel engine oil at all?
http://www.penrite.com.au/files/JV0RO8SWXR/SIN Engine Oil 15.pdf
Looks just like a gasser oil for hot rods & rev heads to me!

Which makes me wonder why they bother training their staff of they can't even get it right after a visit from the rep to train them and explain it all!

I don't know, I do know I'm confused...and the sin oil he was offering me which is synthetic and shear proof etc was about 25 bucks a litre. (~$100 per US gallon) even tho it doesnt say it's suited to our engines at all in it's literature!.

I think I''ll keep researching until I get the right answers from at least one company whose peoples advice I can trust!

This si all quite a mystery and the more I learn about oil - the less I seem to be able to chooose the oil I want to stick with!

Whatever I get I want itin bulk and for 3 vehicles:-

Ford 2004 7.3 PSD F250 4x4 DC 60,000 miles
Toyota 1982 4.2 TD Landcruiser 4x4 station wagon 150,000 miles
Mitsubishi 1983 2.5 TD Triton 4wd DC pickup 237,500 miles (rebuilt 35,000 miles ago!)

The principle vehicle of concern is the F 250 - followed by the Cruiser, so the best opil for these two - and the Mitsubishi Triton will just have to digest the same stuff!

Ill be looking into the Mobile Delvac and Shell rotella on Monday when the dealerships open for business again!

Any other recommendations please keep em comming!

Cheers!

If your 7.3 has the "HEUI" high pressure fuel injection pump you will want to stick to at least a 10W on the lower end, the HEUI engines are VERY shear prone, on my '04 6.0 I stick to dino 15W40 every 5-6,000 miles, Royal Purple makes a good synthetic 15W40 that I've gotten direct at www.longrider.com, it was around $100 US for a 5 gallon pail a couple of years ago, I would use UOAs to determine the maximum safe interval and to watch out for fuel dilution (very common on the later 7.3 and the 6.0 from leaky injectors).

Beach...sand...shorter OCI's might be better.

The best fairly priced 15W-40 CI-4 / CJ-4 HDEO would probably be fine. If Chevron Delo 400 is available for a low price downunder; it might be good 'nearly synthetic' oil.

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer...mp;lbLanguage=e look at Asia

Shell Rotella 15W-40 has been reformulated and is said to reduce wear.

I don't think diesels run that hot, but they suck in a lot of air... so the dust and more frequent air filter and oil changes might be more important.

Also testing the Ford Powerstroke might still need coolant test strips and touching up the coolant SCA additiives every 30K miles.

Redline and Amsoil are ridiculously priced over here, versus the rest, which are simply overpriced.

Mobil Delvac 1 woul be best I reckon.
Caltex Delo 400 would probably be more like what you want, given sump size etc.

The 7.3L is a HEUI engine with high pressure oil to actuate the injectors. You do not need to stick to a 10w on the lower end, shear stability is the issue. A 0,5, 10 and 15w oil will be fine as long as they are shear stable oils. The 7.3 and 6.0 are both HEUI engines, but they are different fuel systems and prone to different problems, so your experience with the 6.0 is not 100% comparable to the 7.3, although most of the information does apply to either engine. The 6.0 is much harder on oil than the 7.3.

The late 7.3L did not have any extra-ordinary issues with injectors as far as performance or fuel dilution as did the 6.0 engines. The 7.3 and 6.0 use completely different injectors that are not even close to similar other than they operate on the HEUI principle. As always, UOA's are a good idea in any case, epically when desiring longer OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back