New to me 1996 BMW 318i - opinions welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

^
I noticed you're from La Jolla, CA. Having a BMW is almost a prerequisite for living there.
wink.gif

Haha, my car is the TI (used to be the 325is but I gave it to my older brother) but I enjoy taking care of them and keeping them good looking
smile.gif
There are however some very wealthy people in my town where a $100k car is chump change, I've been very fortunate to experience some amazing vehicles!

While our cars are nothing special, when I was in high school it was amazing what some of the kids drove here...a new $50k car was nothing out of the ordinary. Even my g/f at the time back in `04 got a new G35 coupe for her first car.

The 4 cyl Bey-Em-Vey seems to be really durable. My neighboor put 270K on an '82 320i, which is really a 318, before selling it. I hope your new toy gives you many happy miles.

Thanks again to everyone!

I just put in an order a little less than $160 for the following:

13711247405 Air Filter
64111393489 Cabin Air/Pollen Filter
11431717666 Dip Stick Tube Seal; O-Ring for Oil Dipstick; 9x2.2mm
RCS12X16 Oil Drain Plug Gasket; Oil drain plug gasket.; Copper Seal Ring 12x16x1.5mm X10
11421432097 Oil Filter Kit X4
25161215780 Shifter Handle Set Screw (A/T); For Automatic Shift Handle
25161216905 Shifter Knob/Handle
51231960852 Shock/Strut, Hood; Left/Right X2
51231908430 Shock/Strut, Hood; Retaining Clip X5
11121721876 Valve Cover Gasket
11121721475 Valve Cover Gasket; Valve Cover Gasket for Spark Plug Holes
11121721476 Valve Cover Gasket; Valve Cover Gasket for Spark Plug Holes X3
11121721879 Valve Cover Grommet Gasket; Valve Cover Bolt Seal X15
36131181079 Wheel Center Cap/Emblem; Emblem for Wheel Center; 70mm Diameter(2-3/4 inch) ; Adhesive Back X2

I will take all coments on the control arms and simply do some 'looking'. Sounds like a suspension system similar to the old SAAB 900s which I am very familiar with. (forgive me if I am off on that, I have yet to even pull of a wheel)

I already note that I need the high side hose on the PS pump. That will be on the next order.

I don't know that I dare ask about .... oil .... All invoices state Valvoline 15w-40, not an easy oil to find.
I see the nods to Delo, which I am willing to pour in ... but, Delo has two flavors ...(orig and LE) ??

When the order arrives, I had planned to pour in Valvoline at least one last time, till I did my homework and got word back from Terry, but if I can't find it, I guess I'm gonna have to go for the gusto and make a switch.

Thanks again!!

I think the new Delo is LE? At least the last time I bought it they were all LE at the store. You will be amazed how new control arms and bushings will make a difference...it's a MacPherson setup in the front which Saab may have used also. It's pretty simple but works well...I'm curious how the shocks are and of course the rear suspension components.

Quote:

I already note that I need the high side hose on the PS pump. That will be on the next order.

You might want to try replacing the PS reservoir first, it's a lot cheaper than the hose! There's a filter in the bottom of the reservoir that gets clogged over time and allows the pressure to build enough so you have a leak that comes out the high side and drips down the hose and sprays everything in sight eventually. The only way to replace the filter is to replace the reservoir, which if I recall, is close to $20 instead of $80 for the hose.

Amsoil 5W-40 has worked well for me in all my BMW's that are driven hard.

mdv,

Thanks!

Oil will be on my mind for a few days as I await UPS.

I see a good coat of varnish through the filler cap, but heck the car is 11 years old. We'll see when I do the valve cover gasket if there is anything to really worry about.

I have so many other things to do, I am not sure when I will get a chance to look at much more this week.

Tires are an odd size of 195/60/15 and not 205/60/15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back