Best Coolant Choice for Duramax diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with Duramax turbo diesel and Dex Cool coolant.

At 25K miles now, and thinking about a drain and fill with Dex Cool and distilled water.

I'm not a fan of Dex Cool having seen problems first hand in some vehicles..and I've read both sides of the arguments for and against Dex Cool.

I assume that as long as the coolant system is healthy, has no leaks, has no pressure cap issues, etc. then Dex Cool is probably fine, and it may be better not to change coolant chemistry.

One reason I'm thinking of looking at different coolants is that I don't know whether the Duramax would do better or worse with a different coolant , or whether I should switch to a coolant with SCA's or add an SCA's to reduce cavitation.

I think there is an argument that SCA's can cause clogging and reduce cooling efficiency, and also that OAT type coolants replenish themselves frequently at the surface level and allow lower levels of SCA's and reduce the clogging and the need to add SCA's every 30K.

So does anyone out there have any expert opinions?

I recommend that you stay with Dexcool and distilled water. At work we have a 1997 Chevy Van with the 6.5 Diesel with 260k miles in it and I have always used Dexcool in it. The thermostats(it has two) were changed twice, other than that, we have had no cooling system issues and hoses, rad, heater core and the water pump are all original. I have a 2006 Sierra gasser and I am going to stay with Dexcool in it. SCAs are needed in engines with wet sleeves where cavitation is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back