AC Delco with Ecore

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a FL-820S filter study I did Sept. 2006 In San Francisco area:

Champ Labs PH820 (Luberfiner)
www.champlabs.com/products/oilfilters.html www.servicechamp.com/prod_res_docs/Ecore%20Sales%20Sheet.pdf
($3each+$5 shipping on Amazon.com)

ECORE was a new construction technique which can be seen on their above website. They have a “patent” claimed on integrated bypass/ADBV on the base plate which is also shown. I have not seen a PH820 but I have seen a SuperTech and AC Delco versions. A Champ document claims the design is tested to 96/94% single/dual pass per SAE HS806(10-20um) / J1858(20um) using media 9668. www.servicechamp.com/prod_res_docs/Ecore%20FAQ's%20Sheet.pdf

AC Delco PF1250 ($3.50 Pepboys)
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/filters/oil-filters.htm

This was found to be a Champion Ecore design. The filter height was reduced by about 20%. It had a thin backplate and a second one added for easing blind installation. The bypass is in the base with black ADBV. The most unusual aspect is you see the pleats inside. A black plastic cage held them in place; maybe 90% open, unlike others using a perforated metal tube. See the diagram of Champ filter on their website above, item labeled “nylon core”. I have also seen a reference to a PF1250CL listed as “Classic Design”.

Champ Ecore
I believe, the jury is still out on this design. I have read about the media getting sucked into the outlet, in both cases 20W50 was being used on larger engines. The bottom line seems only down side to this design (relative to others in my application). Smaller can, not better filtering, and lack of flow rating don’t warm my heart.

Added comments;
I found filters based on this were the lowest cost, $1.47 at WM for my application. The FL-820S is $2.35 so this is a no brainer. Ecore is probably fine in 3000 mile OCI, maybe more, and if I was going into a 500-1000 OCI flush cycle (just by a case of 12 filters).

I know a cartridge type filter is a little bit different setup compared to a spin on oil filter but the filters for all the ecotech engines are all made out of plastic[housing].I have used Luberfiner Ecores with no problems.My main concern with an oil filter is cold startup rattle and with Luberfiner I have had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back