AC Delco with Ecore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone knows for sure whether the AC Delco's will be becoming the Ecore; and if so, has anyone spotted any yet?

I'm still up in the air about the Ecore filter. I'm thinking that I would have more confidence with it if AC Delco were to start using it; until then, I'm tempted to shy away from it for now.

I already switched to NAPA Gold from www.fleetfilter.com because all you have to do is take a FramTG, AcDelco and Napa Gold and look at them nest to each other and it will take you about 10 seconds to see the Wix NG is better constructed. Plus at fleetfilter it is the least expensive. It's what I call a No Brainer.

I am sorry to hear that ACDelco filters may be changing over to the Ecore design. If that happens to the PF47 I will be going to a Wix or a NAPA Gold. Remember, avoid the orange wall of death at all costs.
grin.gif

Quote:

What are your obstaining reasons?

OK, one of those would be me.

Not until more manufacturers switch over.

When I see a major filter manufacturer using the e-core design (Puro, Wix, Fram), then I'll reconsider.

Unitl then, I'll stick with tried and true.

Quote:

When I see a major filter manufacturer using the e-core design (Puro, Wix, Fram), then I'll reconsider.

Not only does a major manufacturer "use" the ecore, they designed it, too. Who do you think makes the ecore?

Unless, of course, by "major", you mean major marketing .

Quote:

Quote:

What are your obstaining reasons?

OK, one of those would be me.

Not until more manufacturers switch over.

Unitl then, I'll stick with tried and true.

So in your opinion Champion doesn't qualify as a "major" manufacturer?

I don't think anybody has found convincing evidence that the Ecore design has any more issues than others. There IS evidence that the design may have some superior features. The nylon center tube starts out much cleaner than metal ones, and the fiber end caps actually filter a small portion of the oil to extreme cleanliness, almost like having a small side-stream filter right in the can.

I doubt that other manufacturers will adopt the design any time soon. It's patented.

That being said, I agree that the more conventional construction LOOKS more robust, but that's probably a false perception.

I have been using the ecore design for the past 20,000 miles with no problem on my 01 2500HD 6.0

Back to the original post, in my area anyway, pretty much all AC-Delco's I've seen on the shelf are now E-Cores. I use PF47 and PF13 sizes and I know for a fact that both of them are now E-Cores.

Quote:

I already switched to NAPA Gold from www.fleetfilter.com because all you have to do is take a FramTG, AcDelco and Napa Gold and look at them nest to each other and it will take you about 10 seconds to see the Wix NG is better constructed. Plus at fleetfilter it is the least expensive. It's what I call a No Brainer.

offtopic.gif

I thought that Napa Gold's where WIX filters?
hornets_nest.gif

Another thing is I use an E-core filter on four differnt vehicals no issues. 4.8 2005 Chevy silverado, 4.0 Ford Explorer, 3.8 2000 Windstar, and 5.7 Dodge Ram. I use either Supertech or Value Parts. Whatever I can get cheaper. The OCI is up to 8,500 on the Silverado. About the same on the Windstar. Brother-in-laws van. About 5K for my Ram and the Wife's Explorer.

NAPA Golds are made by Affinia (WIX) and are by all reports identical. As one of the Ecore objectors I do not have any empirical evidence that they are worse (or better) than the conventional oil filter design. I just think a well made conventional filter looks more robust. I also do not like that Champ Labs added that additional plate that evidently assists in threading the filter on. The holes in the add on plate do not line up with the holes in the filter end plate. What's up with that?
dunno.gif

Quote:

I also do not like that Champ Labs added that additional plate that evidently assists in threading the filter on. The holes in the add on plate do not line up with the holes in the filter end plate. What's up with that?
dunno.gif

I think it has something to do with their combination oil bypass and ADBV; I'm not sure how it works though.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back