Motor Oil and Arthritis - 2005 Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been posted before, I think on the General Topics subforum. We pretty much debunked it... they neglected to take into account that maybe all the wrenching a mechanic does in his lifetime may have something to do with arthritis. Next, they'll probably blame back problems that machanics suffer from on used motor oil. I'm sure a statistician will find a correlation there.

Gracias Kestas. More important, I would encourage many to look at that ScienceDaily website. Remarkable detail, updated, well, daily. If you are looking for medical stuff esp, you'll find research/technology updates aplenty.

Hard to say one way or the other. By the time I was 35 I had been turning wrenches professionally for 12 years. I certainly noticed swollen/painful joints but wrote it off as part of the job. After 5 years out of the shop and a change of profession that keeps me away from most chemical nasties I have no joint pain to speak of.

It might be a stretch to link rheumatoid arthritis to motor oil. The thing is something has to trigger off rheumatoid arthritis, and I am sure there are enough chemicals in a shop environment to keep causal research going for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back