is this sSLOB any good or should I throw it away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at big lots today and I had a 20% off coupon so that meant 80 cents a bottle for the slob...I got 2 ....not putting it in my Cobra but I thought I might throw it in the wifes Celica GT...

I have searched but not found a real answer to if this stuff is junk or not....I had seen it mentioned on here and since it was only 80 cents I thought go ahead and buy a couple....

dunno.gif

Well there is a new oil analysis here. About 4800 ppm zinc and phosphorus. Good if you want to boost the zddp levels of regular oil. I have several dozen bottles.

ok, well the car is using DINO Castrol...so do I need to boost the ZDDP levels? I have no idea...just want the skinny on this stuff before I pour it in her car...as I just changed the oil in it the other day

Its perfectly good, as said it will boost your Zinc mainly. I ran it for the whole summer in my daytona. Did just fine, no bad effects.

Quote:

i wouldn't use a cheap additive..toss it!!

I believe the retail price was around $8 a bottle, certainly not cheap, but a great bargain on clearance. This stuff likely is a diluted PCMO additive package. VSOT is nice, but will thicken your oil more. One member here who did a lot of testing found consistent reduction in wear metals using one ounce VSOT per quart.

i agree paul, i think molkules sx-up is the very best i still have plenty until he gets the shop up and going.another high quality additive i forgot to mention is sfr's desol

SLOB is for us cheap slobs who are only concerned about zddp. For the connoisseur VSOT and SX-UP are the way to go.

That is, SLOB is the cheap beer of additives, whereas VSOT and SX-UP are fine wines.

MZ-Bird, I will take that SLOB off your hands if you don't want it! More importantly, which BigLots still had it? Bossier, Shreve City, or Mansfield Road?
grin.gif

I'm down to only 59 bottles, so.....
laugh.gif

Really, as Tall Paul said, the stuff wasn't originally very cheap. I think I'd seen it for $11 somewhere. I think the pink bottle with the tricked out Del Sol is what turned people off of it.
grin.gif

Be careful, that pink bottle is the wrong type of plastic. Drop one on a hard floor and the bottle will crack. I know, I learned the hard way. The CD2-75K stuff is a good bottle and has 4000 ppm zinc phos so about as good as the SLOB and adds the high mileage compoment too.

My 75K stuff is all settled out and has milky looking deposits in it, even after a lot of vigorous shaking. Boy are those white blobs slick tho! I did put a bottle of it in a tractor last oil change and it seems to have mixed just fine looking at the dipstick.

The SLOB on the other hand just looks like pretty, clean oil.

Hmmmm, I'll have to be wary when I use the 75K stuff. Maybe you had a bad bottle. The one I opened for the VOA was fine. But thanks for the warning.

I have opened 4-5 bottles of 75k, and they are all like this. Like I said, I think it is just some separation and not really anything to worry too much about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back