How to stop flaking paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Daytona has a paint problem. Mainly on the hood and a small amount of the roof. The paint just keeps peeling in certain areas. Is there any good paint brand or application technique to maybe stop this problem. I used Rustoleum a few times but it doesn't truely help for long.

I can't really afford a full paint job right now honestly. The car is a dark blue so its easy enough to find this shade of paint.

My Dakota is paint flaking. Body shop said only solution is to sand down to bare metal and reprimer and repaint. Can't stop it.
mad.gif

John

Keeping a good wax on it is usually the prevention according to a local body shop that I spoke with. Some manufacturers have paint that is more susceptible to clear coat peel. From what I understand there are natural oils in the paint that once are damaged by the sun and become dehydrated the clear coat peels. I'm not sure whether or not it would be possible to sand down to the base coat or maybe primer and then put more base coat and clear on if that would work or not, but I suppose doing that would only be a temporary solution as the rest of the car flakes.

Like Jon said, ya can't stop it. There is no magic elxir you can apply to stop or slow down the process. If you want to improve the looks of the peeling areas, you'll need to sand off the dead and dying paint, feather into the areas of good paint, then respray.

Personally I don't think I'd worry about it. If you're planning to keep the car and are saving up for new paint, let it go until then. If not then it doesn't matter.

I will deffinately be using it through my final 1.5 years of college left and I hope I can keep it as a project car to convert it eventually into a turbo model, since all the engines are easily turbo-ed.

I just want my car to look at least sorta nice, may be an old high-miles car but its my baby
smile.gif

Maybe save up for a Maaco special. I just want to keep the metal protected for right now, I live in Pittsburgh PA, we have more road salt than roads during the winter.

Whats working for me right now, is to flake off all the loose clear, give the base coat a very quick sand with 1000 grit, and a little extra sanding on the remaining clear around the wound, wipe down with laquer thinner, and then shoot some rattle can clear over it from the flaps. I didn't concern myself with smoothing the edges flat as I don't want to go through the base coat (its thin). It passes the 10 foot test. And definately looks better than completely ignored peeled clear.

Alex.

Flaking paint is caused from an improperly prepared or dirty surface. Chrysler has had this issue on many Neon's. I see alot of 95-99 1st generation Neon's with HUGE areas all over the car.

I think I just did something sorta silly, I got so tired of looking at that naked area of no paint on my hood tonight that I went out and did a touch up with rustoleum just to cover the metal and protect it till I can really work on it.

Problem is, the temp outside right now is 2 degrees. Literally its 2 in pittsburgh right now. Will that paint dry?

Are we talking about clear coat failure or flaking paint? Clear coat failure usually looks like the paint has oxidized although in advanced stages it will start to look like badly sunburned skin just as it starts to peel. The color coat underneath will remain intact, usually.

Peeling paint is most commonly found in mid '90s vehicles, which is during the time paint companies were beginning to reformulate for every tightening EPA regulations. The color coat simply would not stick to the primer. My neighbor's '94 Ford Explorer did this, as did my '92 Camaro.

In either case the only real cure is a repaint. Once either process has begun there's no turning back. Clear coat failure can be prevented by properly taking car of the paint, meaning regular polishing and waxing.

My Dad tried painting something once at about 28 degrees...a year later it all peeled off. So I would bet your 2 degree paint won't last long.

it will dry, but it won't dry fast! good job though it will protect it well, i would have covered it with grease and wd-40 till it gets warm then paint it yourself its easy, it wont look that great but its better than nothing! i have painted my motorcycle for the #@$%! of it, it looks better than anything macco could do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back