Recommed a diesel fuel additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased a 2006 VW Jetta w/ a turbo diesel engine. Will be purchaseing the least expensive diesel fuel I come accross. I live in NC so the temps are moderate. Can anyone recommend a quality diesel fuel treatment for this engine? Thanks

There are many, but my favorite by far is FP60 from Lube Control. I also have Beetle TDI that I run it in and it has made noticeable improvements in mileage and smoothness with a little noise reduction to boot. It has also made the same improvements in both my gas vehicles as well.

It is generally well respected here and there are many threads you can read for many opinions.

Thank You. I checked out their website. I can order it with my paypal account. Cost is $33.00/gal Do you know if it is carried by any retail outlets? ie Wally World, AA, AZ etc.

I always loved shell rotella DFA. it was the only additive that gave me statistically significant fuel economy advantages in my MB 300D.

Schaeffer's diesel fuel treat smells like rotella DFA - this MAY mean that it is similar chemistry. Ive never heard a bad thing about Schaeffer's anyway... Id et that stuff if you can find it or dont mind spending $300 to get free shipping - it would do you good, because schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 is a top-notch oil for any diesel engine...

FP60 otherwise.

JMH

I think the redline fuel additive is on sale at AAP, the diesel version that is. I can never find the regular gas additive but they're always full of the diesel variant.

I've used the RedLine diesel fuel catalyst with good results in two TDI's. The Power Service product available at Wal-Mart is also a good choice.

Quote:

I've used the RedLine diesel fuel catalyst with good results in two TDI's. The Power Service product available at Wal-Mart is also a good choice.

I have used Power Service in my TDI as well and IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to FP60. I saw almost no difference when running PS, while I can tell a significant difference in power and smoothness while running FP.

Let me suggest Primrose Powermaster Plus 405-C. Good stuff,
http://www.primrose.com/Pcatagories/fueltreat.htm

http://www.primrose.com/Premium Select/405C Power- Master Plus.pdf

"The cetane improver in Power-Master consists of special nitrates which are pro-oxidants and which speed up the oxidative process of fuels during combustion, giving more power and improved mileage. Power-Master provides greatly increases ignition efficiency with all diesel fuels. In addition, Power-Master will prevent gum and sludge formation. Corrosion is prevented by an inhibitor which produces a protective non-deposit-forming film on metal surfaces in the fuel system and which neutralizes corrosive acids formed during combustion.

An important component of Power-Master is a special emulsifier which disperses condensed moisture. Condensed water in fuels is a major cause of rust, icing in cold weather and the growth of microorganisms in warm weather. Operation of diesel engines is noticeably improved when corrosion and growth of bacteria are prevented. Power-Master also contains an exclusive polar lubricity additive to prevent wear without altering fuel viscosity. Fuel treated with Power-Master is a "premium" diesel fuel. "
http://www.nicktane.com/primrose405.htm

I've been using some other stuff lately, just to use it up, and I've noticed slightly degraded power.

Primrose 405-C is also very concentrated, I use about one ounce per 15-gallon tank of fuel, but the 3000:1 recommended ratio means I am over-dosing by about 50%.

Primrose 409 is their product for winter use.

Quote:

I always loved shell rotella DFA. it was the only additive that gave me statistically significant fuel economy advantages in my MB 300D.

Schaeffer's diesel fuel treat smells like rotella DFA - this MAY mean that it is similar chemistry. Ive never heard a bad thing about Schaeffer's anyway... Id et that stuff if you can find it or dont mind spending $300 to get free shipping - it would do you good, because schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 is a top-notch oil for any diesel engine...

FP60 otherwise.

JMH

I called Shell recently to ask a question about this product and they are no longer marketing it.

Yep... its been off the market for about 2 years at least.

Its a shame...

Delo fuel add and schaeffer's diesel treat smell very similar, so may share some similar compunds, which apparently do actually work!!

JMH

Use ANY diesel marketed product that you can buy in gallons. Sorry, but those smaller bottled products over priced, but work great when you're in between jugs.

Invest in a funnel and measuring method. Or, refill FI cleaner bottles and keep a few in your trunk for your fillups.

Some brands to consider: Powerservice, Primrose, Stanadyne, Howes, Lucas, Schaeffers, Lubridiesel, Pri-D....... There is no need for brand loyalty, unless you find something that significantly makes the vehicle run better or go farther between fillups.

For winter usage, use a product with an antigel prior to any freezing weather.

Another choice is to run biodiesel at 2% concentration.

Visit your local autoparts stores, diesel truck stops, department stores, and marine supply houses to see which brands are carried in your area.

And, hang out at TDIclub. You'll learn about your vehicle, its issues, common problems, owners mistakes.....hopefully which will make your '06 ownership more enjoyable.

I'm wondering about the Howes products. Am using Power Service currently. Have used Stanadyne but it is too expensive. I always add some Lucac UCL to the tank each time that it is filled.

John.

FP60 & Diesel Treat! I rotate every fill up.
Bought the 7.3L with 300K miles on her, without ever any additive being added within those 300K miles.

Now 60K miles later,with FP60 & Diesel Treat-->I can honestly say the 7.3L has gradually began to run smoother and a Quieter. Throttle response has improved as well.

Picked up a Gal of Howes the other day. Going to pour 5oz. in every fill up as well.

I've ran Howe's, CRC, PS, Lucas...they are all about the same. The PS seems to be the best overall.

The main thing is make sure it doesn't contain alcohol...read the ingredients...if it states methanol, ethanol, or isopropyl, it isn't good for a diesel.

steved

I'm partial to Amsoil's new Diesel Concentrate. It was recently reformulated for the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel which only has 15 ppm sulfur, as opposed to Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel which has 500 ppm. So additional lubrication and other changes in formulation are needed. Make sure you buy the right concentrate for the diesel fuel you buy. MSRP for the AMSOIL ULSD is $4.75 each when you buy a case of 12. 1 bottle treats 80 gallons. Info at https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2236_rev1_07.pdf . A site sponsor can ship it to you in a few days.

After having first hand experience with a near failing catalytic converter, and the expense to replace it, I'd be very hesitant to dump any of this stuff into your tank if you are not 100% positive that it will not cause slow damage to your emission system over time.

Many of those new catalytic converters are > $1000 to replace, and I'd do anything to keep it running as long as possible.

twocents.gif

I never thought a fuel additive caused a problem. I've only used fuel additives from Chevron and only twice over 98,000 miles. But my point is, it may not be worth taking chances with these newer emission systems with any additives that may even questionably[/i} have the potential to damage the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back