Supertech recycled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Wallyworld for an oil change and the guy tells me Supertech is recycled oil made by Pennzoil. He said the oil that's drained out of cars at oil change places is what is used to make Supertech. I asked him where he got this information and he couldn't give me a source. I asked him if the oil in the Supertech bottle was recycled wouldn't they have to say it right on the bottle? He didn't know. Sooooo, BITOG oil pundits, what's the straight skinny?

Quote:

I'd say your oil change guy is full of recycled brain matter.

Is it really such a terrible thing to just tell a customer that you don't know who makes a particular oil. Must one come up with such a B.S. story to make people think you are in the loop in the lubrication world? Thats right up there with Pennzoil and Quaker-State causing sludge. Do you really trust that level of person to change the oil and filter on your 25-35K dollar ride?
coffee.gif
The main thing is that the oil passed the same API specs as other oils. I have never used the dino oil but have tried the synthetic in the past and would use it again if needed.

My ride is a '96 minivan with 134k miles. I figure it doesn't make much difference what oil I put in it at this point. It's rapidly becoming nearly worthless as far as resale value. I like it, it runs and drives good and it's not in bad shape, certainly presentable. If it was a $25,000 vehicle I wouldn't be taking it to Wallyworld to have the oil changed.

Wallyworld is cheap and convenient for an oil change for that vehicle and I can get some groceries while my oil is being changed. Besides, when I look at the people I see at Wallyworld it makes my self esteem go way up, lol.

As far as the recycled thing with the Supertech, I just thought I would share that with you guys.

I believe at one point Tech 2000, the former name for Supertech, was made from recyled oil, at least in Canada. It is not here now, AFAIK. There are at lest two or three suppliers of Supertech: SOPUS, WPP, and ExxonMobil.

Even if it were "recycled," re-refined oil is just as good (and some believe better) than "virgin" motor oil.

Telling people what (little) he knows makes his little life. I like to play along.

When I run into people like that I just bug my eyes out and say "that sounds GREAT".

As an example I just discovered my cable internet now comes in two pricing tiers. All existing customers were dumped in the expensive/fast tier. Went down to the cable office to see what was up. "Slower? That's fantastic-- sign me up!"

Back in the mid-90s supertech (then tech 2000) was made by quaker state, judging by the pallets it came in on etc. QS is now part of SOPUS which also runs Pennzoil, so there are grains of truth spread across that mis-statement.

Is there any reason to believe that recycled oil isn't that good?
dunno.gif
It seems they would be starting out with a highly refined basestock if they start out with used Grp II or GrpIII motor oil.

Quote:

If it was a $25,000 vehicle I wouldn't be taking it to Wallyworld to have the oil changed.

Forget resale value - that is a looser's game. It runs well, right? You like it, right?

What would it cost to replace it??? $25k +++++?

So its value can arguably be claimed to be much more than its KBB value, for certain.

Its worth what it costs to replace it. Do you have the funds on hand to replace it and pay for the replacement cash? if not, then you cant afford a replacement...

I only say all of this because 134k is young these days, so long as you half-respect your vehicle and do semi-decent PM without too much scrimping...

Good luck!

JMH

The van in addition to running and driving just fine gets decent gas mileage too. If I spill my coffee, no problem. Bump into a shopping cart?, no big deal. Need to take the seats out and haul something around?, I don't have to worry about the carpet or smudging the upholstery. In some ways an old vehicle is better. Less stress and no worries. The only thing that DOES worry me is if something major goes wrong the van becomes a throwaway. No way I'm going to sink $1,000 into the A/C or rebuild the tranny etc. That's what I worry about with an old vehicle.

If the van does die I wouldn't buy a $25K vehicle, I'd buy a 5-10 year old clean, well kept car for $3K-$5K and drive it for 3-4 years. No way I'm gonna do $300 or $400 a month payments plus pay big bucks for insurance on a new car. I just don't have the money to do that or to pay $25K cash for a car.

Have been using Tech 2000 for 3 yrs no problem.Bought 4 cases of 4litre jugs worked out to .98 cents a litre.The oil in Canada is recycled.I think the price now is 7.98 for 4 litres.What we don't have is wal marts house brand filters.

Can't remember when but Walmart Tech2000 oil used to say recycled right on the bottle where I lived at one point (in the US) but still, recycled, re-refined oil that meets specs is oil that meets specs, who cares.

How does it perform??? Good then forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back