cross reference for machine oil (cincinnati lathe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the specs for two different lubricants (P-38 & P-55) are 135-165 S.U.S. @ 100°F and 194-236 S.U.S. @ 100°F. i believe ISO 32 should work fine for the first oil which is lubricating the headstock gearbox and i'm "thinking" ISO 46 should be the replacement for the second oil though it could be just a touch on the heavy side. the second oil is for the Bilur pump on the feed gearbox and apron gearbox which also feeds the ways on the carriage and crossslide.

any input is appreciated
tnx

You mentioned that it spec's P-38 and P-55, would that by chance be Conoco Multipurpose R&O Oil? If so most lubricant manufacturers make a good multipurpose oil like this, some better than others.

Might this be what it spec's? http://www.conocolubricants.com/NR/rdonl...urposeROOil.pdf

The ISO number is nothing more than the viscosity of the oil like SAE is to engine oil. You need to make sure that the oil you pick is not only the correct viscosity but also has the correct additive package for what you want to use it for.

""P-38 & P-55""

Are Milicron designated R+O Lubes you are correct a ISO 32 and 46 R+O turbine oil type will work fine
bruce

thanks guys
Wrehch, i found that page before but couldn't find it again to confirm.
salesrep, i do have special way oil (with tactifiers ect.) for my bridgeport but this machine calls for a standard ISO package as the apron oil is pumped to the ways and lead screw.

bruce, yea it's nothing special just ISO R&O oil.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back