Does oil freeze?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy is trying to tell me it can..
crackmeup.gif

I'm pretty sure it will freeze. Why wouldn't it? I'm guessing if you cooled it down to -100 or so you'd have a nice solid chunk.

Could an expert weigh in here on exactly what the "pour point" is? Is it a solid below that, or is it a semi-arbitrary number where the oil flows so poorly that it's rendered useless?

jeff

I am not a physicist nor do I play one on TV, but I have stayed in cheap Chinese hotels.

Approach absolute 0°K and anything "freezes".

Does oil form a crystalline structure like solid water? Nyet. Or is it closer to glass, an amorphous solid? Si.

Quote:

I am not a physicist nor do I play one on TV, but I have stayed in cheap Chinese hotels.

Breaking out the techinical stuff I see. You are cracking me up. But you are correct about the kelvin referrance.

Does oil form a crystalline structure like solid water? Nyet. Or is it closer to glass, an amorphous solid? Si.

Quote:

Breaking out the techinical stuff I see. You are cracking me up. But you are correct about the kelvin referrance.

I dislike this quote feature.

I'm talking normal winter temps here,so what is all the PP for stated on these oils for if it frezzes.

if oil freezes in normal winter weather(witch i'm talking
about)i better start haul'en all out oil's from the shop
into the house then,and bring in all the eqip. too from
sitting out side...

as pablo said, everything in the universe freezes by the time you get down to 0 degrees Kelvin (-273.15 degrees Celsius). There is nothing in this universe that wont freeze.

Depends on the viscosity of the oil for the temperature of the climate; i.e. 20w-50 in say -10F could be a very bad thing. Don't know if it would be solid, but I'd definitely not want to turn the key to find out.

Absolutely it does. But you have to get to temperatures so low that the only place they're commonly found is in a lab.

As has been said, most everything will turn to a solid below a specific temperature.

Some lubricants will also "dry out" or suffer component evaporation, depending on the atmospheric conditions (or lack thereof). I'm talking extremes here, and not just a dry Arizona day.

Ever wonder what NASA uses to lube moving parts on their interplanetary satellites? It's hundreds of degrees below zero out there (like -400F). I'd suspect dry lubricants and fully self-lubricating components and designs.

Quote:

Not in normal winter temps. Freezing would mean you could turn it upside down and it wouldn't flow given any amount of time.

Thank you jag!!!! thats what i'm talking about normal
winter temps..

i do realize yea every thing will freeze at a certain point,
i juess i should have stated that in my opening post.

I have some experience with hydraulic lubes and I have done a lot of pour point testing, in my experience in most cases I have seen oil is what I would call frozen 3-4 degrees C below its pour point, and will crystazlize there as well if it has any waxes. By frozen I mean in the testing apparatus the thermometer immersed in the oil is tough to pull out, and when it does it leaves a divot in the oil with oil from the divot stuck to the thermometer. SO if your oil lists a PP of -40 I would say based on my experience it would be what I call frozen at -45 to -42C. One true way to tell would be to run a DSC/DMS from -100 to 25 or so and get the glass transition temperature. But yes it freezes closer to the PP than most realize.

Quote:

i do realize yea every thing will freeze at a certain point,
i juess i should have stated that in my opening post.

Yes, you should have stated an actual temperature range. Also, "normal winter temps" vary widely throughout the globe.

What is the word "juess"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back