noise after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have noticed from my past 2 oil changes that after i change my oil and start up the car, there is a brief grinding sound coming from my motor. is this normal? the first time i let my car drain for the night and the 2nd time i let it drain for about an hr. do you think its because of this?

Welcome. This happens and is largely dependent on how long you drain the oil, what engine it is, and whether you pre-fill the oil filter. It's not good so try shortening the drain time and pre-filling the filter as much as possible.

Of course you are going to get that grinding noise for if you drain overnite, your oil pump lost most of it's prime and will take waaaay too long before it can pump up the fresh oil and pressurise the system.

IMHO you are not going to rid of all the oil no matter how long you gonna leave your oil pan bolt off (there's gonna be at least 3.4qt of motor oil on the pools in your cylinder head portion,and various oil galleries).

My standard practice calls for draining the oil(warm enough to touch and not get burned) while undoing the oil filter. By the time you finish wiping down the block and installed a new oil filter, you shall be able to install the bolt back onto the pan and begin filling with fresh oil. Leaving your system w/o oil without an oil filter(or with oil filter but faulty anti-drainback valve) is going to cause your oil pump to loose prime. You'll be doing some serious countdown when you try to pressurise your oil system afterwards (10--9--8--7--6---.......)

thanks for the welcome
smile.gif
haha.
i always lube the ring on the oil filter and pour some oil into the filter before i screw the new oil filter on. maybe im not pouring enough into the filter?
and the motor is a k20z1 from a 06 acura rsx type-s.
do you think this grinding could have caused alot more deposits in the oil? if so im probably going to change my oil very soon. my car has 10,900 miles exactly as of now and i recently changed from dino oil to royal purple my last oil change which was at 9,800.
thanks for the help guys! i really appreciate it
smile.gif

Quote:

Of course you are going to get that grinding noise for if you drain overnite, your oil pump lost most of it's prime and will take waaaay too long before it can pump up the fresh oil and pressurise the system.

IMHO you are not going to rid of all the oil no matter how long you gonna leave your oil pan bolt off (there's gonna be at least 3.4qt of motor oil on the pools in your cylinder head portion,and various oil galleries).

My standard practice calls for draining the oil(warm enough to touch and not get burned) while undoing the oil filter. By the time you finish wiping down the block and installed a new oil filter, you shall be able to install the bolt back onto the pan and begin filling with fresh oil. Leaving your system w/o oil without an oil filter(or with oil filter but faulty anti-drainback valve) is going to cause your oil pump to loose prime. You'll be doing some serious countdown when you try to pressurise your oil system afterwards (10--9--8--7--6---.......)

ouch, do you think this could have damaged my engine?

It causes some extra wear but no deposits. Don't change the oil out soon. Just let it drain for 10 to 20 minutes next time and fill up the filter as much as possible but if the filter is horizontal, you cant put much in without spilling.

LOL Albert!

You are causing extra bearing wear and you don't even know about it?!??!

Deposits? What deposits are you talking about??!

(*I'm sorry for being a hard ahhrse on you but I think there's fundamentally something not right here....*)

Quote:

i have noticed from my past 2 oil changes that after i change my oil and start up the car, there is a brief grinding sound coming from my motor.

For the past two OCIs, have you changed oil filter brands?

Even if you haven't, the manufacturer of your on-going filter may have changed the guts of that filter.

Buy another filter brand & troubleshoot the problem again?

Quote:

LOL Albert!

You are causing extra bearing wear and you don't even know about it?!??!

Deposits? What deposits are you talking about??!

(*I'm sorry for being a hard ahhrse on you but I think there's fundamentally something not right here....*)

by deposits i meant like metal shavings because of the metal on metal sounds i heard. sorry im a noob at oils
blush.gif

by bearing wear, what bearing are you talking about?

Quote:

i have noticed from my past 2 oil changes that after i change my oil and start up the car, there is a brief grinding sound coming from my motor. is this normal?

Timing chain tensioner?

Albert-

I can't really comprehend what you mean by metal shavings. Metal grinding sounds (or is it??) or, my suspicion of a "dry, metal rubbing/scratching" sound typically signifies that your system isn't being "oiled" yet. You see, in order for the engine to work properly, one of the prerequisites during a cold start (or engine has been sitting for an extended period of time), it take some time to pressurise the oil system and I must tell you that the time involved before the system is properly lubricated (pressurised) is critical, IMHO. You can translate this to "how long it takes to lubricate your system before significant wear happens"....I would typically say no more than 3 secs max. (proper oil viscosity and ambient temperature) if the engine is new with tight bearing clearances and oil pump.

As the engine "ages" (e.g. bearing clearance increases, oil pump clearance increases, etc.)it will take a bit longer to get the oil pressure up.

Your intentional draining overnite with a new/fresh oil filter will cause your oil pump to loose prime, which means that by the time when the oil pump is sufficiently primed up, not only would it have to take on the responsibility of pressurising your oiling system but also the added delay in filling/pressurising the dry/empty oil filter you just installed.

Bottomline: never drain your oil over and extended period of time. Just do it in 15 mins time and be over with it (that does not account for the time involved in exchanging the oil filter). Also: immediately start your engine after it's been top up with fresh oil so as to prime your pump, pressurise the oiling system and also to fill up the oil filter.

Lastly, my take is that if your engine oil light does not go out in, say, >8secs, you are definitely doing something bad to your bearings (I mean crank, rod, etc. or sometimes referred to as "big end" bearings).

later.

Check your owners manual to see if holding the gas pedal to the floor clears a flodded engine. Some do and some don't.

If it does, then you can crank the engine with your foot on the floor and it will not start.

After you've cranked like this for 10 seconds or so, you can turn off the key, let your foot off the gas and start the car.

Some cars do not do this, and you will start at full throttle right away. So if you are going to try this techinque to get the oil flowing before you start the engine, make sure it really behaves this way, either by checking the owners manual, or just trying it out on a warm engine prior to your oil change.

javacontour-

The motor is a k20z1 from a 06 acura rsx type-s.

I don't think Albert is talking about flooding the engine, letting alone flooring the gas pedal to start....

confused.gif
I think he was describing a technique to crank the engine with no ignition (firing) to allow pressure to come up before the engine starts (running on its own). My buddy still "bumps" engines that he changes the oil on to get some oil in the filter before it removes them from the shop.

Or did I misunderstand your misunderstanding
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back