I need the best penetrating oil

.......but not Penetro. I need something for removing rusted automotive exhaust parts but i pretty much need it by tomorrow. Sick of these mail order companies and the closest "rep" to me for Penetro is about 100 miles away. Anyhow, what is the best one that is sold in most local stores. Liquid wrench? I know WD-40 isnt a pen oil at all. Any out there better than Liquid Wrench?

You might be able to find PB Blaster or Kroil at a local store. Both are good rust busters.

Another good trick for removing rusty exhaust bolts I learned from a old mechanic is to use canning wax. The kind of wax you can buy at the grocery store. Heat the part up a little with a small tourch, just hot enough to melt the wax. Apply the wax and watch it be drawn into the rust. This trick has worked for me where penetrating oils have failed. Might be worth a try and a box of canning wax is cheap.

Its kinda expensive and I think only new car dealers carry it, but Rost-off made by WURTH is very effective for locks.

The wax trick is indeed effective. Before i hit any ruusted, and I mean rusted, bolt I hit it with Kroil or PB Blaster the night before. Then I heat it real well and pour or spit cold water on it while it is glowing hot. Then heat it again and use wax. Only thing that this did not work on wan an exhause bolt. At that point, it was getting a new one anyway and got out the angle grinder.

I prefer Kroil, but generally can't find it unless I order from Kano. PB Blaster works similarily. I have no BTDT yet but will soon on a 50-50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Acetone. I read somewhere that that required less torque to loosen stuff than Kroil and PB Blaster. The melted wax trick also works, but I'm going to explore the ATF approach where I can't use heat.

Yes I like that Kroil too. I've tried a couple other products as well. I put some info about penetrating oils here including many of the products from this thread, plus a special mix.

acetone-atf-1-sm.jpg
kroil1-md.jpg

advice here is sound, though I have not tried the honey bee wax notion. I would bite the bullet and buy Kroil direct from Kano. Like BG products, it is excellent but tough to find. Personally, I alternate between PBlaster and Kroil while disassembling my 63 Avanti, it is not clear which is better.

I've use PB Blaster and it's better than most penetrating lubes. I'd like to give Kroil or Knock'er Loose a try, the Datsun guys have always said Kroil was good..

LC20 + ATF?
http://www.lubecontrol.com/reports.htm
Quote:

4.1 Penetrating oil. I mixed by volume, 70% LC20 and 30% synthetic Dexron III ATF to produce an optically pleasant and very effective penetrating oil. I applied this mixture to muffler and tail pipe clamps. Rust and corrosion products immediately dripped with the solution and once the nuts were removed, the threads of the bolts were like new. The remaining oil tenaciously clung to the assembly to protect it from rust.

Back