heater hose vs oil hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is their a difference between a hose made for heater and the one made for an oil line? can I safely use heater hose to plumb my oil relocation filter? thanks for any help

YES, there is a difference. Do NOT use heater hose. I went to NAPA, and got some bulk (cut by the foot) red hose that is made to carry oil and trans fluid. It MUST be for that purpose, or it WILL come apart. You don't want to bust an oil hose and lose pressure.

Most heater hoses these days are made from an elastomer called EPDM (Ethylpropylene diene monomer). It's very durable in that application (resistant to heat & ozone damage), but it will swell when exposed to the hydrocarbons in lubricants.

The best stuff for your application is some "Aero-equip" stainsteel jacketed, silicon hose, which will outlast your car. A less expensive alternative is the new, abrasion resistant hose that Amsoil sells by the foot for their bypass filter kits.

My son has a VW bug with an aftermarket full flow oil filter. He blew up a couple of hoses before I finally got him the right kind from NAPA. I wouldn't trust coolant hose. With oil, I replace every year or two even with the right kind of hose.

Right, besides just the materials incompatibility, heater hose has to withstand what, maybe 15psig (though tested to much higher), whereas oil hose could have to handle 80psig or more.

SAE certified hose for hot oil circulation is rated very high in temp and pressure. It's reinforced with wire internally in most cases.

Lots of stuff doesn't use stainless braided line. Heavy equipment ..etc. The problem is finding a source to dispense it without charging you just as much as you would for ss braided line. The wire is on the inside. Less appealing to look at.

You need hose rated to SAE J1019 (-40° to 150°C) (-40° to 302°F) and a maximum working pressure of 1.5 MPa (217 psi) or...

SAE J1532 is a transmission line spec but works in most cases(type B and BT are limited to 150 PSI and -40 to 257F temp and are only certified for auxiliary cooler applications)

SAE J1532 (A,B,AT,BT)

Essentially: A and B are low temp (257F)
AT and BT are higher temp (302F)
A and AT are higher pressure (250 psi)
B and BT are lower pressure (150 psi)
BT- low pressure/high temp
B - lower pressure/lower temp
A - high pressure/lower temp
AT- high pressure/higher temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back